BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-12-02 1:25 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by amd723
Originally posted by cdban66

This time of year always makes me look back at the year in a retrospective light. It has been an interesting one, without a doubt. I should hit 1000 miles on the bike and could hit 575 running. This is a little less than last year, but after the ankle mess I had early in the year, I am quite happy with these numbers. More than that, this year has been another year that I am grateful to have a group of friends that continue to encourage and support each others athletic goals and accomplishments. But not only the athletic side, but even more so, the encouragement to be a better person.  You all have been a blessing and for that I want to say "Thank You" from the bottom of my heart!

Thanks Chris, you are always so encouraging and supportive; it i, s a pleasure to be in the same support group as you

Looking back at my numbers I am surprised to see even with my lock down/s I have run more miles than last year. Although, I guess that makes sense since my shoulder shut me out of biking and swimming the first part of July, so I had more time to run.

I am looking forward to figuring out what my race schedule will be next year. I'm already planning on more trail races and there is a little voice in my head trying to talk me into doing another marathon. I'm ignoring now!!

We should all post our tentative race schedules (including long shot stuff we are only kind of considering) and talk about it together. I think it would be cool to see what everyone is thinking about. 

Oooh, this is a good opportunity to run something by you all (y'all). A friend asked if I'd be interested in doing a HM in Moab in March. My niece is doing the same race. My training schedule that weekend is a 15k race simulation and a 17 mile easy run. The travel timing may not be great, with DS2's graduation from basic in the same timeframe. I really want to do right by my marathon training but not sure I can find the right distances for the race sims. Thoughts?

As for the rest of the season... no idea. My sole focus is my Marathon in May.

You mean 15K race on a sat and then an easy 17-miler on Sunday?

If so, that would totally work. I'd do the HM in Lieu of the 15K simulation and shoot for 15-17 the next day. 

Do you have experience with big days in a row btw? 

Which day is the Moab race? And is that 15k sim at Marathon pace? w/u & c/d on each end of it too?

2014-12-02 1:28 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by brigby1

This time of year always makes me look back at the year in a retrospective light. It has been an interesting one, without a doubt. I should hit 1000 miles on the bike and could hit 575 running. This is a little less than last year, but after the ankle mess I had early in the year, I am quite happy with these numbers. More than that, this year has been another year that I am grateful to have a group of friends that continue to encourage and support each others athletic goals and accomplishments. But not only the athletic side, but even more so, the encouragement to be a better person.  You all have been a blessing and for that I want to say "Thank You" from the bottom of my heart!

Thanks Chris, you are always so encouraging and supportive; it i, s a pleasure to be in the same support group as you

Looking back at my numbers I am surprised to see even with my lock down/s I have run more miles than last year. Although, I guess that makes sense since my shoulder shut me out of biking and swimming the first part of July, so I had more time to run.

I am looking forward to figuring out what my race schedule will be next year. I'm already planning on more trail races and there is a little voice in my head trying to talk me into doing another marathon. I'm ignoring now!!

We should all post our tentative race schedules (including long shot stuff we are only kind of considering) and talk about it together. I think it would be cool to see what everyone is thinking about. 

Oooh, this is a good opportunity to run something by you all (y'all). A friend asked if I'd be interested in doing a HM in Moab in March. My niece is doing the same race. My training schedule that weekend is a 15k race simulation and a 17 mile easy run. The travel timing may not be great, with DS2's graduation from basic in the same timeframe. I really want to do right by my marathon training but not sure I can find the right distances for the race sims. Thoughts?

If so, that would totally work. I'd do the HM in Lieu of the 15K simulation and shoot for 15-17 the next day. 

Which day is the Moab race? And is that 15k sim at Marathon pace? w/u & c/d on each end of it too?

Yeah, yeah, good questions...I would assume by the term "simulation" unless of course you are just simulating racing, as in the act of an all out effort for a given race distance in race attire.

I am curious what plan this is. If it really is two days, one being race sim and the next being long run it seems pretty advanced. It's solid training but double days like that took me two marathon cycles to be able to do. It's hard. 

2014-12-02 1:30 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I like Chris's idea of doing a retrospective, so here's mine.

As I look back at 2014, it's been a year of rebirth.  I finally broke out of the 2 1/2 years of pain that had kept me from pretty much everything I enjoy.  I was able to start tri training in March and I did a 5 km at the end of April.  I wasn't sure I could do it but with your encouragement, I did and finished that in 36:13.  My most recent race, on 11/15, was 10 km (my 1st ever at that distance), which I finished in 1:00:06 on icy, snow-packed roads.  In between, I did 2 sprint tris and several other 5 km races.  My SBR distances are paltry compared with others of you, but I've never trained this much or this consistently--ever.  I feel like I'm finally the athlete I've wanted to be for years and I'm really excited to see how much more I can improve.  Your support and encouragement, both here in the forum and in my training log, has made such a huge difference and I'm so grateful for it.  Thank you thank you thank you!!

2014-12-02 1:38 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by melbo55

Originally posted by Richardsdrr
Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by jmkizer

Welcome back Matt!

I'm with you, I'm happy to have Chris as a pod-mate!

All y'all (the extent of the vernacular I have learned from my Texan inlaws) are too kind!

I'll be you know "Bless your/his/her heart."  That's a good Texan phrase. (Used elsewhere too but *definitely* in Texas.

I too am happy to have you as a pod-mate.  Your insightfulness and humor is always appreciated.

Awwww, bless your heart, this has been covered before sweetie

This nearly made me spit out my Earl Grey tea!

Yeah, sorry Mary, i couldn't resist
2014-12-02 1:43 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Denver, CO

Welcome back Matt!

All y'all (the extent of the vernacular I have learned from my Texan inlaws) are too kind!

I'll be you know "Bless your/his/her heart."  That's a good Texan phrase. (Used elsewhere too but *definitely* in Texas.

I too am happy to have you as a pod-mate.  Your insightfulness and humor is always appreciated.

Yeah, sorry Mary, i couldn't resist

It's okay, dear.  It made me laugh too!

2014-12-02 1:46 PM

User image

Seattle

Ok, ok guys brace yourself....this is my VERY tentative "plan"

Dec: recovery (after CIM)

Jan-April: Get into HM shape with emphasis on mountainous running + mountaineering, maybe to a monthly trail series of various distances

HM race in March

May-June: Trail marathon? Run some fun track distances? Just run with no races?

July: USATF Mountain Running Nationals (16K, not sure on elevation but it's a mountain)

Aug: Angel's Staircase (35K mountain race, 6k elevation gain) OR Pike's Peak Ascent (HM, 7,500 elevation gain) + Summit Mt. Rainier

Sept: PCT adventure! 105 miles, 25K gain and loss

Oct: XC season! Shoot for nationals team?

Spring marathon? 

2014-12-02 1:47 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Seattle

As I look back at 2014, it's been a year of rebirth.  I finally broke out of the 2 1/2 years of pain that had kept me from pretty much everything I enjoy.  I was able to start tri training in March and I did a 5 km at the end of April.  I wasn't sure I could do it but with your encouragement, I did and finished that in 36:13.  My most recent race, on 11/15, was 10 km (my 1st ever at that distance), which I finished in 1:00:06 on icy, snow-packed roads.  In between, I did 2 sprint tris and several other 5 km races.  My SBR distances are paltry compared with others of you, but I've never trained this much or this consistently--ever.  I feel like I'm finally the athlete I've wanted to be for years and I'm really excited to see how much more I can improve.  Your support and encouragement, both here in the forum and in my training log, has made such a huge difference and I'm so grateful for it.  Thank you thank you thank you!!

Huge. Very, very cool stuff. 

2014-12-02 1:50 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Take my opinion with a grain of salt, since I'm no running expert.  I'd be inclined to do the race, but not necessarily race the race.  The next day, a nice shake-out run at the easy pace you are to run, maybe not the full 17 but maybe 15?  Again, just what I think  I might do.  Of course, the race plan would be out the window if it ended up being DS2's grad weekend.

My only addition is based on my shortcoming here...  I *seem* to have trouble racing at anything but my best effort.  As such, I would have trouble with a long run after a HM, as I come across the line pretty darn close to spent.  The last couple run-only races I've done and tried to "train through," I ended up racing harder than I thought I actually could (thought that training through would have me on legs fatigued enough to not be ABLE to bury myself - nope).  Actually injured myself shortly thereafter 2/2 not recovering much at all from the race.

Not sure if others are in the same boat, and I would like to think that I could moderate the effort/after-effects now having done it a couple times, but something to just consider...  If you do it as a race simulation (OK - I assumed that meant at M pace) but not an actual, all out, run-only HM pace, it's probably a GREAT thing to do.  Just, again, something to consider in pacing yourself.

Sorry if I read this all wrong!

Matt

2014-12-02 1:52 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Thanks Chris, you are always so encouraging and supportive; it is a pleasure to be in the same support group as you

Yikes, I am barely able to get through the next month, I'm not sure about next year's races and beyond. 

ETA: I had to go back to this, because now you got me thinking. Darn You!!!

So far... 8/3/15 half Mara. 29/3/15 20 mile race. 19/4/15. Marathon. Gunning for a sub 3:30. Flat course, about 25m total elev gain, so should be doable. Depends on weather as it's a coastal marathon. May, family hols. July Long Course Weekend Tenby. Possibly only do the half marathon instead of full, or may run full conservatively. Aug Possibly look for a hilly HIM Distance. Sept IM Wales Oct (Hopefully) Bask in my achievements

I love this!

2014-12-02 1:53 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Welcome back Matt!

Had me laughing, too!  I actually have heard this a few times since moving here and thought of the discussion here each time. 

2014-12-02 1:58 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Here's my race schedule:

• 12/20/2014 - Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #1 (just for fun, not racing) - 4 mi. run/10 mi. bike
  • 1/3/2015 - Resolution 10 km (HM prep)
  • 1/17/2015 - Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #2 (another just for fun) - 4 mi. run/10 mi. bike broken into 5 legs.
  • 2/20/2015 - Snowman Stampede 10 mi. (HM prep)
  • 3/14/2015 - Zion HM (off-season A race)
  • late May/early June - Boulder Sunrise sprint tri or Crescent Moon sprint tri
  • August 14, 2015 - Steamboat Oly tri (A race)
  • Sept. 2015 - Fruita Xterra sprint tri or Oktoberfest sprint tri (mostly for fun and/or to redeem myself for DQing at Oktoberfest!!)

After that, who knows?  Maybe - gasp - some time off??

2014-12-02 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

You rock!  I think that I speak for the whole group when I say that we are tickled with your progress this year and look forward to following your training for Zion and beyond!

2014-12-02 2:01 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Jan-April: Get into HM shape with emphasis on mountainous running + mountaineering, maybe to a monthly trail series of various distances

HM race in March

July: USATF Mountain Running Nationals (16K, not sure on elevation but it's a mountain)

Aug: Angel's Staircase (35K mountain race, 6k elevation gain) OR Pike's Peak Ascent (HM, 7,500 elevation gain) + Summit Mt. Rainier

Spring marathon? 

What a fun off road year you have planned!

2014-12-02 2:03 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Here's my race schedule:

• 12/20/2014 - Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #1 (just for fun, not racing) - 4 mi. run/10 mi. bike
  • 1/3/2015 - Resolution 10 km (HM prep)
  • 1/17/2015 - Chilly Cheeks Duathlon #2 (another just for fun) - 4 mi. run/10 mi. bike broken into 5 legs.
  • 2/20/2015 - Snowman Stampede 10 mi. (HM prep)
  • 3/14/2015 - Zion HM (off-season A race)
  • late May/early June - Boulder Sunrise sprint tri or Crescent Moon sprint tri
  • August 14, 2015 - Steamboat Oly tri (A race)
  • Sept. 2015 - Fruita Xterra sprint tri or Oktoberfest sprint tri (mostly for fun and/or to redeem myself for DQing at Oktoberfest!!)

After that, who knows?  Maybe - gasp - some time off??

Oh!  I've heard good things about Crescent Moon!

And Fruita!  Kevin wants to go there to ride ;-)

2014-12-02 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Yeah, yeah, good questions...I would assume by the term "simulation" unless of course you are just simulating racing, as in the act of an all out effort for a given race distance in race attire.

I am curious what plan this is. If it really is two days, one being race sim and the next being long run it seems pretty advanced. It's solid training but double days like that took me two marathon cycles to be able to do. It's hard. 

Right now I'm not accostomed to big days back to back like that. I start the new plan later this month.

I guess he calls them "tune up" races. There are three of them 2, 4 and six weeks before the goal race. The plan is Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning. 

2014-12-02 2:15 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Seattle

Right now I'm not accostomed to big days back to back like that. I start the new plan later this month.

I guess he calls them "tune up" races. There are three of them 2, 4 and six weeks before the goal race. The plan is Pfitzinger's Advanced Marathoning. 

K yeah, that is kind of what I suspected.

So, the tune up is most definitely the key workout and the intention is to actually race it "all out" (but not as an A per se) The intention is not to take it easy on race day in this case.

I will say this though, the word advanced is there for a reason.

2014-12-02 2:17 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

From what I understand, you can do a tune up race one of three ways

1. Run it at your planned marathon pace -- so if you planned a 4 hour marathon 9:09/mile
  2. Run the first half of the race at marathon pace and the second half of the race at 15k race pace (using your 15k example)
  3. Run the whole thing at 15k pace
2014-12-02 2:17 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

You rock!  I think that I speak for the whole group when I say that we are tickled with your progress this year and look forward to following your training for Zion and beyond!

x2. Mary has rocked this year!!!! Add in to that what a cool person you are and it is really neat to see and be a tiny part of.  You can thank the group, but it is YOU that did the heavy lifting!

2014-12-02 2:22 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

K yeah, that is kind of what I suspected.

So, the tune up is most definitely the key workout and the intention is to actually race it "all out" (but not as an A per se) The intention is not to take it easy on race day in this case.

I will say this though, the word advanced is there for a reason.

Yeah, that is the one that scared me. TJ, I admire your desire!

2014-12-02 2:28 PM

User image

Seattle

2015 race thoughts:

Jan/Feb/Mar - considering the Frozen Foot 5K series, 1 race per month

April -
- Yuenging Lager Jogger 5K (hopefuly actually 'racing' it this year, but otherwise this is a 'fun' race)
- not tri related but possibly Lake Placid ice hockey tournament if it doesn't conflict with the HIM or HIM training
- St. Luke's half marathon (hopefully finally having the successful HIM I've been striving for)

May - Got the Nerve sprint tri

June - Syracuse 70.3 (*gulp* my goal race, the highlight of my season)

July -
- possibly Catfish sprint tri if coach OKs it and if it doesn't conflict with Steelman
- Steelman 5K swim (another gulp, this will be a big deal for me)

The rest of the season is unplanned, with my main races being mentioned above.  More than likely I'll pick up another sprint or Oly somewhere in August or September.

I feel a lifetime 5K PR comin'! 

2014-12-02 2:31 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

x2. Mary has rocked this year!!!! Add in to that what a cool person you are and it is really neat to see and be a tiny part of.  You can thank the group, but it is YOU that did the heavy lifting!

This reminds me of what I said when I called Maija after my first iron distance event.  I said thank you and she said something like, "I didn't do anything!"  ;-)

2014-12-02 2:33 PM

User image

Denver, CO

HM race in March

Spring marathon? 

Adrienne, this looks great!!  If you decide to do the Pike's Peak Ascent, let me know.  I only live an hour away and it'd be fun to meet! 

I saw these socks the other day and totally thought of you. 

IMG_1447.jpg

Our friend Abby decided last year that she would run the entire length of the Wildwood Trail located above Portland, Oregon in Forest Park. She survived the roughly 33 mile run. Then, she decided to do it again. Ow. We decided the best way to enhance her experience — besides running with her — was to make a sock of course. 

6" cuff, charcoal sock with the trail broken into five sections and layered on top of one another. Then color coded with some of Abby's favorite nail colors. These are a custom Wooleator socks - 64% Merino Wool - 28% Nylon and 8% Elastic. They handle well in all athletic situations, especially running trails.

http://www.theathleticcommunity.com/shop/the-wildwood-trial-socks

2014-12-02 2:35 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Seattle

From what I understand, you can do a tune up race one of three ways

1. Run it at your planned marathon pace -- so if you planned a 4 hour marathon 9:09/mile
  2. Run the first half of the race at marathon pace and the second half of the race at 15k race pace (using your 15k example)
  3. Run the whole thing at 15k pace

Yes. This is true.

In the Pfitz plan, he intends the tune-ups to get you race experience and get a view of your fitness, which means they are meant to be raced and not run at M pace. The M pacing generally falls in large chunks during a long run and those are throughout the plan.

2014-12-02 2:36 PM

User image

Seattle

HM race in March

Spring marathon? 

Adrienne, this looks great!!  If you decide to do the Pike's Peak Ascent, let me know.  I only live an hour away and it'd be fun to meet! 

I saw these socks the other day and totally thought of you. 

IMG_1447.jpg

Our friend Abby decided last year that she would run the entire length of the Wildwood Trail located above Portland, Oregon in Forest Park. She survived the roughly 33 mile run. Then, she decided to do it again. Ow. We decided the best way to enhance her experience — besides running with her — was to make a sock of course. 

6" cuff, charcoal sock with the trail broken into five sections and layered on top of one another. Then color coded with some of Abby's favorite nail colors. These are a custom Wooleator socks - 64% Merino Wool - 28% Nylon and 8% Elastic. They handle well in all athletic situations, especially running trails.

http://www.theathleticcommunity.com/shop/the-wildwood-trial-socks

The second I saw those I knew they were from theathletic!!!!! I love all of their stuff but I oddly don't own ANY of it. WTF?

2014-12-02 2:39 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Tentative plans for 2015 are:

Race - Probably the same 3 or 4 sprint tri's, assorted 5k's and such as last year, without much of an actual plan. HM in February is the one on the immediate horizon that has any "goals" or "expectations". This is primarily due to my involvement in a few other ancillary activities that eat into my time at odd times and make it challenging to commit to a long range schedule. But it does free me up to take on things with more of a spur of the moment type of attitude, which will happen more this coming year. Trail running may take a back seat to trail riding.

Other 2014/2015 goals - Finish building the Alien, my off road bicycle.  All parts have arrived, so now it is a matter of finding time to work on it. This probably won't happen until after Christmas, due to the aforementioned scheduling challenges.  I have been drafted for a number of guitar/singing gigs in the past few and upcoming weeks, so I have needed to practice that more recently.  Much like Adrienne and her discovery of the joy in the trail run, I have rediscovered my joy of guitar, and hope to do some songwriting.  And I plan to finish out my last year on the church council and get that all cleaned away. I have been surprised at some of the challenges that this year presented in that realm, but I am really encouraged by where we seem to be headed and some of the changes we are making. 

Long term - Ramp up the running distances over the next couple of years, to include a Full Mary, and beyond. If the ankle ever fully heals, I'd like to be able to do an Ultra and the WDW Goofy at some point, although these are somewhat lofty "pie in the sky" type of goals.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 63428 Posts: 2563

2014-10-29 8:19 AM IndoIronYanti

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42806 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73082 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50835 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25980 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.