BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-10-31 1:28 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by amd723

And lawyers...so, I don't really know anything about the process. After sentencing what happens? 

And would one have any other reason to stay in jail than not being able to afford bail?

Sentencing closes the case.  Then he has to serve whatever sentence that may be.  If he is sent to prison, there are some administrative things that take place before he is transferred from the jail to prison.  A geeky legal point - jail is a county holding facility where people are held awaiting trail or serving sentences of less than a year.  Prison's are state facilities where sentenced people serve time a year or more.  Anyway, if his sentence only calls for probation or community control (house arrest), he will be processed for that and start his sentence.

Assuming he pleads to the charge (so, no trial), the only other possible event after sentencing is a restitution hearing.  Many times restitution is set at time of sentencing, but since your bills are still to be determined, you will probably have a hearing.

I tried to look up the case, but King COunty's clerk's website stinks!  So, what's the status?

Ugh sorry. I messed that up. Not sentencing. Arraignment. He was arraigned two weeks ago. I haven't heard anything since via my case manager at the crime victims unit which means nothing has probably happened since.

http://ingress.kingcounty.gov/inmatelookup/interimResults.aspx?ba=214026796&bt=

It doesn't really tell you much...

Arraignment is the start of the case.  It is where he is told of the formal charges brought by the District Attorney and, if he hasn't gotten one already, asked if he can afford an attorney or wants a public defender.  He also enters his plea.  99.99% of the time, a person pleas not guilty at this stage.  From that point on the State will engage in the discovery process with the defense, e.g, give the defense all the police reports, witness statements, defendant's statement (if any), medical reports etc.  If the defense has any witness or anything it intends to use at trial - other than the defendant himself, they have to turn that over to the State.  Each side then takes depositions of the other's witnesses -again, other than defendant.  Depending upon the issues in the case, there may be pre-trial motions the court has to decide, e.g., if the defendant confessed, the defense will want to try to keep it out of evidence, so they will look to see if they can make any straight-faced argument that his Miranda rights were violated.  There will be a hearing to determine whether they were.  That is just an example, there are many other potential arguments the sides may have that the judge will have to resolve.  The next automatic court hearing should be a pre-trail conference.  Each jurisdiction differs a bit, but generally, this is where the sides tell the court if they are ready for trial or whether bad guy is going to enter a plea of guilty or no contest to the charge.  In my area, for serious felony charges, the defense usually says they are not ready for trial and ask for a continuance so they can continue taking depositions or talking to experts etc.  If that happens, another pre-trial conference date is set.  Some cases can take years to get to trial.  Remember the Casey Anthony case?  THat took almost 3 years before it went to trial.  That is longer than most and did involve a murder charge, so I'm sure your case will be resolved much sooner.

If he enters a plea, he will be sentenced per the plea agreement he has with the State.  I'm not sure what your jurisdiction does, but here sentencing is usually done the same day as the plea is entered.  Sometimes it is put off for various reasons.

Regarding why someone would stay in jail rather than post bail; there could be a few reasons, to include if he knows he's going to get time he may want to stay there because all the time he sits in jail awaiting sentencing will count for that sentencing, so by the time he actually gets sentenced he could have a good chunk already done.  Some people will do this coming up to the holidays b/c if he pleads, say in early December and expects like a 6 month sentence he could have completed the sentence at time of sentencing so he'll be out for the holidays.  Another reason may be he has a hold from another jurisdiction or case and can't get out.

Hope the above makes sense.  If not, let me know !!

Clear as mud! Nah, it seems to make sense. I was thinking maybe he was staying in for that reason. Also, he's in the military...er was, so, he might not be in a hurry to get back to work.  

I should say, I don't know how they handle things like this. Technically he's not guilty, yet. But he has been awol, right? 

yea, I'm not sure how the military handles things other than I know that the code of military justice is tougher than civilian criminal code.  He could be facing a court martial b/c these charges too.   

2014-10-31 1:34 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

And lawyers...so, I don't really know anything about the process. After sentencing what happens? 

And would one have any other reason to stay in jail than not being able to afford bail?

Sentencing closes the case.  Then he has to serve whatever sentence that may be.  If he is sent to prison, there are some administrative things that take place before he is transferred from the jail to prison.  A geeky legal point - jail is a county holding facility where people are held awaiting trail or serving sentences of less than a year.  Prison's are state facilities where sentenced people serve time a year or more.  Anyway, if his sentence only calls for probation or community control (house arrest), he will be processed for that and start his sentence.

Assuming he pleads to the charge (so, no trial), the only other possible event after sentencing is a restitution hearing.  Many times restitution is set at time of sentencing, but since your bills are still to be determined, you will probably have a hearing.

I tried to look up the case, but King COunty's clerk's website stinks!  So, what's the status?

Ugh sorry. I messed that up. Not sentencing. Arraignment. He was arraigned two weeks ago. I haven't heard anything since via my case manager at the crime victims unit which means nothing has probably happened since.

Arraignment is the start of the case.  It is where he is told of the formal charges brought by the District Attorney and, if he hasn't gotten one already, asked if he can afford an attorney or wants a public defender.  He also enters his plea.  99.99% of the time, a person pleas not guilty at this stage.  From that point on the State will engage in the discovery process with the defense, e.g, give the defense all the police reports, witness statements, defendant's statement (if any), medical reports etc.  If the defense has any witness or anything it intends to use at trial - other than the defendant himself, they have to turn that over to the State.  Each side then takes depositions of the other's witnesses -again, other than defendant.  Depending upon the issues in the case, there may be pre-trial motions the court has to decide, e.g., if the defendant confessed, the defense will want to try to keep it out of evidence, so they will look to see if they can make any straight-faced argument that his Miranda rights were violated.  There will be a hearing to determine whether they were.  That is just an example, there are many other potential arguments the sides may have that the judge will have to resolve.  The next automatic court hearing should be a pre-trail conference.  Each jurisdiction differs a bit, but generally, this is where the sides tell the court if they are ready for trial or whether bad guy is going to enter a plea of guilty or no contest to the charge.  In my area, for serious felony charges, the defense usually says they are not ready for trial and ask for a continuance so they can continue taking depositions or talking to experts etc.  If that happens, another pre-trial conference date is set.  Some cases can take years to get to trial.  Remember the Casey Anthony case?  THat took almost 3 years before it went to trial.  That is longer than most and did involve a murder charge, so I'm sure your case will be resolved much sooner.

If he enters a plea, he will be sentenced per the plea agreement he has with the State.  I'm not sure what your jurisdiction does, but here sentencing is usually done the same day as the plea is entered.  Sometimes it is put off for various reasons.

Regarding why someone would stay in jail rather than post bail; there could be a few reasons, to include if he knows he's going to get time he may want to stay there because all the time he sits in jail awaiting sentencing will count for that sentencing, so by the time he actually gets sentenced he could have a good chunk already done.  Some people will do this coming up to the holidays b/c if he pleads, say in early December and expects like a 6 month sentence he could have completed the sentence at time of sentencing so he'll be out for the holidays.  Another reason may be he has a hold from another jurisdiction or case and can't get out.

Clear as mud! Nah, it seems to make sense. I was thinking maybe he was staying in for that reason. Also, he's in the military...er was, so, he might not be in a hurry to get back to work.  

I should say, I don't know how they handle things like this. Technically he's not guilty, yet. But he has been awol, right? 

yea, I'm not sure how the military handles things other than I know that the code of military justice is tougher than civilian criminal code.  He could be facing a court martial b/c these charges too.   

It's shocking the way a few seconds of really poor judgement can really, really mess up your life. 

2014-10-31 2:01 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

It's shocking the way a few seconds of really poor judgement can really, really mess up your life. 

Exactly!!!!!!!!

New Mexico is dealing with this. I don't know them, but my partner does.

Edited by rrrunner 2014-10-31 2:03 PM
2014-10-31 2:17 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events
====
November 1-2
Melanie - MAG 5K Fall Flash on Saturday
Ann-Marie - Wildhorse 10-miler
Jen - Impossible 5K "Finish Before You Start" on Sunday
Adrienne - PNTF Champs XC 6K on Sunday

Disabled List
Janyne - shoulder (recovery week 5)
Tom - right knee (yeah for no surgery!!)
Yanti - under the weather 
Erin - foot (boot week 1)

2014-10-31 2:41 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

====
November 1-2

Disabled List

My race will also be DH's first race ever, wish him luck!  It's supposed to be quite cold and quite possibly raining and quite windy!  Good times!  Reasons to run faster...

GOOOOOOO MANATEEEEES!!!!

HEEEAAAALLL MANATEEEEES!

Edited by melbo55 2014-10-31 2:41 PM
2014-10-31 3:31 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner

Exactly!!!!!!!!

Wow!  WE all make mistakes, some of us just make really big, criminal ones!

2014-10-31 3:34 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Orlando

Racing Manatees!

====
November 1-2

Disabled List

This week's racing list is as long as the DL, so I guess that is progress!  Plus, if we add Melanie's husband to the list it's longer, so GOOOO MANATEES!!!!  And a special good luck to Melanie's husband on his first ever race!

Heal up all you hurty, sicky Manatees! 

2014-10-31 4:58 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Racing Manatees!

====
November 1-2

Disabled List

My race will also be DH's first race ever, wish him luck!  It's supposed to be quite cold and quite possibly raining and quite windy!  Good times!  Reasons to run faster...

GOOOOOOO MANATEEEEES!!!!

HEEEAAAALLL MANATEEEEES!

Good luck, Melanie's DH!!  No flashing anybody, you two--flashing in that weather would just be uncomfortable for everybody involved. 

Race race race, Racing Manatees!!!

Heal heal heal, Ailing Manatees!!

As for the rest of you, have a fun weekend and (try to) stay out of trouble and stay safe.  No moments of bad judgment, you hear?!  There seem to be plenty of others who are willing to step up and mess things up for themselves or others.  Sheesh.

2014-10-31 5:11 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Denver, CO

Well, after talking with the head coach of the coaching group (Mace) and the coach I'd be working with (Tess), I think I'm going to do it.  I'm going to talk with one of Tess's athletes before I commit for sure but it's sounding pretty promising.  I'm really excited!!

2014-10-31 5:13 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Racing Manatees!

====
November 1-2

Disabled List

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

SO Jen - what's yours all about there?
2014-10-31 5:49 PM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Seattle

Exactly!!!!!!!!

Yikes. No kidding. Man, I can't imagine how he must feel. 

Don't get me wrong, these people get whatever the court decides they deserve. But a small part of me feels for them. 

2014-10-31 5:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Racing Manatees!

====
November 1-2

Disabled List

Go racers Go!

Get better DLers, this list is still too long.

Have a great weekend everyone else.
2014-10-31 6:02 PM

User image

Seattle

Racing Manatees!

====
November 1-2

Disabled List

Go racers! Lots of diversity in there!

Erin, did you get that cleat mounted to the boot yet?  

2014-10-31 6:11 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Orlando

Exactly!!!!!!!!

Yikes. No kidding. Man, I can't imagine how he must feel. 

Don't get me wrong, these people get whatever the court decides they deserve. But a small part of me feels for them. 

The first time I had someone I prosecuted sentenced to multiple life sentences without the possibility of parole, I think I was more affected than the child battering creep!  But I got over it!

2014-10-31 10:59 PM
in reply to: #5063700

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
So in my somewhat experienced past with IT Band issues as it relates to rolling.. I've read, and found it to be true that rolling the IT itself irritates it. Instead roll the muscles around it. Don't forget the adductors. I was neglecting those and my massage therapist pointed out that I needed to work on those too.
2014-11-01 12:07 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

GO PEACH MELBO!!!
GO HANDS-MARIE!!!
GO WONDERMOOSE (or don't go? just get the Tshirt? )
GO SALTY!!!

Disabled List
Tsk tsk. {MELON PRESS} for all! At least the racers are catching up ...

For whoever didn't catch it, I had to have two more teeth yanked on Wednesday. There might have been a few complications. I got pretty strict instructions about levels of activity and that this would take longer to recuperate from ...

Anyway today I cut my own stitches out. The swelling had caused them to stretch out over the gumline and they were cutting in, which is super painful. By the time I cut them out this morning, the flesh around the stitches had already started suppurating and there was some good blood and pus going on. Ewww but instant relief!

2014-11-01 9:04 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Racing Manatees!

====
November 1-2

Disabled List

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM SO Jen - what's yours all about there?

It starts at 1:50 am.  So, if I run it in 40 minutes, with daylight savings time factored in, I will finish at 1:30 am.  As long as I can finish in less than an hour, I'll be fine.  

It's supposed to be chilly.  I just hope it's not raining!

GOOD LUCK, RACING MANATEES!

HEAL QUICKLY, DL MANATEES!

2014-11-01 11:01 AM
in reply to: Artemis

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Artemis

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Racing Manatees!

====
November 1-2

Disabled List

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO TEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM SO Jen - what's yours all about there?

It starts at 1:50 am.  So, if I run it in 40 minutes, with daylight savings time factored in, I will finish at 1:30 am.  As long as I can finish in less than an hour, I'll be fine.  

What a fun idea!  I'm guessing there's going to have to be some pre-race napping and/or caffeine involved.  Can't wait to read your RR!

2014-11-01 11:05 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

GO PEACH MELBO!!!
GO HANDS-MARIE!!!
GO WONDERMOOSE (or don't go? just get the Tshirt? )
GO SALTY!!!

Disabled List
Tsk tsk. {MELON PRESS} for all! At least the racers are catching up ...

For whoever didn't catch it, I had to have two more teeth yanked on Wednesday. There might have been a few complications. I got pretty strict instructions about levels of activity and that this would take longer to recuperate from ...

Anyway today I cut my own stitches out. The swelling had caused them to stretch out over the gumline and they were cutting in, which is super painful. By the time I cut them out this morning, the flesh around the stitches had already started suppurating and there was some good blood and pus going on. Ewww but instant relief!

Owowowowowowow, that just sounds awful!!  So at this point, you're down to, what, 3 teeth now?  You're gonna be the toothless old cat lady if you're not careful!  ((((Hugs and popsicles)))).

2014-11-01 4:08 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by Artemis

that sounds pretty neat!!

DH and I love the Headsweats hats - and for $5 I don't care what they say on them so we usually get the "Grab bag" hats:
http://www.headsweats.com/categories/our-products/grab-bags/

it's fun to then see what you get. This time we got some wickedly cool Colorado ones and 1 from the "Rockett's Landing Triathlon and Duathlon." After a little digging in here, I see that Jen and Judi have both done this tri in prior years! Did they give out those hats at the finish?? LOVE IT!!

Edited by mtnbikerchk 2014-11-01 4:09 PM
2014-11-01 5:07 PM
in reply to: #5063700

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Anyone else having trouble getting garmin connect to talk to BT and strava?

2014-11-01 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by rrrunner Anyone else having trouble getting garmin connect to talk to BT and strava?

yes, it didn't work for me today.

2014-11-01 5:40 PM
in reply to: #5064584

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Hmmmmm... What's up with that?!
2014-11-01 5:53 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I had to reconnect to Garmin.  I can't remember how to connect BT to Strava--I'll have to look that up.  BTW, I'm sure this has been discussed somewhere but I can't remember and I'm being lazy.  Does BT connect to TP?

2014-11-01 7:30 PM
in reply to: #5064588

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM
Not automatically but it's easy to do. Add workout > upload > select TP from the dropdown
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 63324 Posts: 2563

2014-10-29 8:19 AM IndoIronYanti

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42715 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 72988 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50728 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25887 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.