BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-11-02 8:23 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Veteran
Dayton
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Hey, I found the new thread!  I was like, why won't it let me post?

Anyhow, I did the follow up visit with the ortho yesterday.  The MRI didn't show any damage.  So the doc said, it's probably "runner's knee" (that's a highly technical term), and that area is where your IT band goes through your knee.  I asked him if that should still be an issue since I was foam rolling regularly.  He said it could last a while.

I don't really know if it's my IT band or not, but the upshot is I'll do a few weeks of PT to sort things out.  The referred me over to sports medicine.  So hopefully I'll be able to make some progress here shortly.  I want to see what they have to say, and whether I should begin a lower-body weightlifting routine to strengthen things up.  (On that note, I had a question about lower body weightlifting get answered on the Endurance Planet podcast right before Kona).

So, yay for no surgery and nothing structurally wrong, but it would have be nice to have this all done and over with.

That's great news. Be sure to keep up with the PT and you'll make a lot of progress.

I've read a lot about the IT band, and how since it's just thick fascia, it can't be stretched. And that really the way to address IT issues is to work on strengthening the muscles opposite. So rolling doesn't really do what you think. It might promote some blood flow but that may be better to do again, in the supporting areas.

Just a thought. 

As I've been talking to medical friends, they are recommending strength training.  Working the lower body in ways that don't happen while running.  Making sure the adductors/abductors are strong.  A cardiac doc of mine was recommending lunges.  After I do my first PT visit on Thursday and seeing what plan of care they have in mind, I'd like to find a personal trainer and start working out the lower body at least one day a week and keep that in the exercise rotation.

2014-11-02 11:21 AM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered)

That's great news. Be sure to keep up with the PT and you'll make a lot of progress.

I've read a lot about the IT band, and how since it's just thick fascia, it can't be stretched. And that really the way to address IT issues is to work on strengthening the muscles opposite. So rolling doesn't really do what you think. It might promote some blood flow but that may be better to do again, in the supporting areas.

Just a thought. 

As I've been talking to medical friends, they are recommending strength training.  Working the lower body in ways that don't happen while running.  Making sure the adductors/abductors are strong.  A cardiac doc of mine was recommending lunges.  After I do my first PT visit on Thursday and seeing what plan of care they have in mind, I'd like to find a personal trainer and start working out the lower body at least one day a week and keep that in the exercise rotation.

That really can't be emphasized enough.  I too am glad it's not surgery and you are wise to tread this road carefully with a lot of info. When you find your PT make sure s/he is on board with what YOU need to do.

And when you build up running again ... often, consistent, steady. No races without bases covered

2014-11-02 12:06 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Melon Presser

So I may have had a small keyboard accident, of the Manatee variety ...

Takes talent to have a 2-in-1 keyboard snafu but considering the tooth toll from the last 'minor' accident is up to 9 ... I may have dry socket for one or both of the recent removals, I've got excruciating pain that even codeine can only whisper at but not really deal with. Woof.

So I have a question possibly similar to the following scenarios:

1. My best friend from kindergarten's wedding is the same day as my A race, he can just find another best man, right?

2. I just won $1000 and entry to Vegas's swankiest all-you-can-eat buffet only good for tonight--I can still do that and run the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon tomorrow, right?

3. My wife has just gone into labor with our first child, but surely I can finish this 70.3 before she delivers, right? I mean, her contractions aren't even close enough to warrant hospital yet.

4. I just got over half my top teeth knocked out, but craptons of travel, stress, long-distance swim and Ironman races should be fine, right?

5. I just had most of what's left of my top teeth carved out of the jawbone (with some good infection), I'm in a ton of pain from a complication (out of several), I haven't trained in weeks (months, really), but there should be no problem dropping down from this weekend's 150km and 110km bike tour stages to just one easy stage of 82km? Yeah, it's crazy hilly and I'm terribly overweight but really, all of these seem minor details. Admittedly just having gone through one of the physically and emotionally toughest times of my life on nearly no sleep may not be that minor. What say you?

Yeah. I thought so. Even if that little guy's got more teeth than I do right now.

2014-11-02 1:48 PM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by IndoIronYanti

I hate it when that happens!! :D

and about the teeth - can you live on Gu and Gels? :/
2014-11-02 2:07 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I hate it when that happens!! :D and about the teeth - can you live on Gu and Gels? :/

I'm pretty much only living on stuff like gels ... cake and cereal if I can get it soggy enough to slurp. I've actually eaten shockingly little the last 5 days and ... not an ounce lost! Argh!

Applesauce and baby food. It's a good thing I like those things.

I'm doing awesome, it's just my mouth that gets me in trouble ... as usual

2014-11-02 2:58 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Master

Hey, I found the new thread!  I was like, why won't it let me post?

Anyhow, I did the follow up visit with the ortho yesterday.  The MRI didn't show any damage.  So the doc said, it's probably "runner's knee" (that's a highly technical term), and that area is where your IT band goes through your knee.  I asked him if that should still be an issue since I was foam rolling regularly.  He said it could last a while.

I don't really know if it's my IT band or not, but the upshot is I'll do a few weeks of PT to sort things out.  The referred me over to sports medicine.  So hopefully I'll be able to make some progress here shortly.  I want to see what they have to say, and whether I should begin a lower-body weightlifting routine to strengthen things up.  (On that note, I had a question about lower body weightlifting get answered on the Endurance Planet podcast right before Kona).

So, yay for no surgery and nothing structurally wrong, but it would have be nice to have this all done and over with.

Just a thought. 

Good, though puzzling, news. Hopefully the PT and strength training will work out these issues and give you a long-term solution.

2014-11-02 3:02 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Master

How'd races go for our four wonder women?

I'm still stinging from missing mine

2014-11-02 3:31 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events
====
November 1-2
Melanie - MAG 5K Fall Flash on Saturday
Ann-Marie - Wildhorse 10-miler
Jen - Impossible 5K "Finish Before You Start" on Sunday
Adrienne - PNTF Champs XC 6K on Sunday

Disabled List
Janyne - shoulder (recovery week 5)
Tom - right knee (yeah for no surgery!!)
Yanti - under the weather 
Erin - foot (boot week 1)

Go racers! Lots of diversity in there!

Erin, did you get that cleat mounted to the boot yet?  

Ha! I used my bike shoe the other day. 45min on trainer and my toe was done. I may use the boot tomorrow...zip tie to pedal? Realized cleat would be too permanent since I have to walk everywhere else in it (kind of...if I'm not being rebellious).

2014-11-02 3:35 PM

User image

Master

As if I would go through weekend without posting my goofballs. Right before heading out to TrT...

(PART_1414883814238_20141031_182234-1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
PART_1414883814238_20141031_182234-1.jpg (55KB - 1 downloads)
2014-11-02 3:53 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master

I hate it when that happens!! :D and about the teeth - can you live on Gu and Gels? :/

I'm pretty much only living on stuff like gels ... cake and cereal if I can get it soggy enough to slurp. I've actually eaten shockingly little the last 5 days and ... not an ounce lost! Argh!

So many flavors to choose from!

"Small keyboard accident"? Maybe you need a larger keyboard...or would that just lead to accidents of the 140.6 (each) variety?

Edited by 4agoodlife 2014-11-02 11:30 PM
2014-11-02 9:16 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Originally posted by jmkizer

Racing Manatees!

A listing of Manatee Races, Rides and Runs and other events
====
November 1-2
Melanie - MAG 5K Fall Flash on Saturday
Ann-Marie - Wildhorse 10-miler
Jen - Impossible 5K "Finish Before You Start" on Sunday
Adrienne - PNTF Champs XC 6K on Sunday

Disabled List
Janyne - shoulder (recovery week 5)
Tom - right knee (yeah for no surgery!!)
Yanti - under the weather 
Erin - foot (boot week 1)

Go racers! Lots of diversity in there!

Erin, did you get that cleat mounted to the boot yet?  

Ha! I used my bike shoe the other day. 45min on trainer and my toe was done. I may use the boot tomorrow...zip tie to pedal? Realized cleat would be too permanent since I have to walk everywhere else in it (kind of...if I'm not being rebellious).

Zip tie sounds like a good idea. Or you could still attach the clean and get a cleat cover so it's safe to walk on.  You know, I'm sure you're not the only person to have to deal with this sort of thing.  I'm sure there's some sort of business idea in there somewhere.  Maybe toe clips for orthopedic boots?  Maybe Mak can help you sketch something out.

Adorable Halloween pics BTW!!  Those grins are just precious!

2014-11-02 9:35 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Yanti Yanti Yanti. (Slowly shaking head.)  Did you really just sign up for 2 HIM's?!  Well, if nothing else, you'll have some fun pre/post races to look forward to.  And heck, if you're gonna do something, you might as well go for broke!  Besides, teeth are overrated anyway.  You won't need 'em for your races; just pre-slit your GU and other gel packages so you just have to suck on them and you'll be fine.  Plus you can still gum bananas once your gums harden up.  About those dry sockets, though, no good.  That's gotta change or you'll be making other narcotic-addled decisions like buying a couple of new bikes or something.

You know, you probably haven't lost any weight because your body has gone into self-preservation mode.  Obviously your brain didn't get the memo!  

(Seriously, hope you feel better SOON!!!!)

2014-11-03 12:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Takes talent to have a 2-in-1 keyboard snafu but considering the tooth toll from the last 'minor' accident is up to 9 ... I may have dry socket for one or both of the recent removals, I've got excruciating pain that even codeine can only whisper at but not really deal with. Woof.

So I have a question possibly similar to the following scenarios:

1. My best friend from kindergarten's wedding is the same day as my A race, he can just find another best man, right?

2. I just won $1000 and entry to Vegas's swankiest all-you-can-eat buffet only good for tonight--I can still do that and run the Rock 'n' Roll Marathon tomorrow, right?

3. My wife has just gone into labor with our first child, but surely I can finish this 70.3 before she delivers, right? I mean, her contractions aren't even close enough to warrant hospital yet.

4. I just got over half my top teeth knocked out, but craptons of travel, stress, long-distance swim and Ironman races should be fine, right?

5. I just had most of what's left of my top teeth carved out of the jawbone (with some good infection), I'm in a ton of pain from a complication (out of several), I haven't trained in weeks (months, really), but there should be no problem dropping down from this weekend's 150km and 110km bike tour stages to just one easy stage of 82km? Yeah, it's crazy hilly and I'm terribly overweight but really, all of these seem minor details. Admittedly just having gone through one of the physically and emotionally toughest times of my life on nearly no sleep may not be that minor. What say you?

Yeah. I thought so. Even if that little guy's got more teeth than I do right now.

Ok so some questions for you my crazy friend:
1. When are your HIMs?
2. Do you need me to send you some UpnGo http://www.sanitarium.com.au/products/up-and-go/up-and-goso you can get some decent nutrition through a straw (mind you still plenty of sugar and it might take 6 weeks to get there.
3. Are you still coming over for IMWA? I'm making the crazy assumption that you aren't going to do it, but that Kingsley is?
4. Are you having your WA wedding on 14/12/2014? Just so I can slot it in to my exceptionally busy calendar
5. Are you salt water rinsing your mouth 3-5 times a day? If not START NOW!
2014-11-03 8:28 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Melon Presser

Originally posted by StaceyK Ok so some questions for you my crazy friend: 1. When are your HIMs? 2. Do you need me to send you some UpnGo http://www.sanitarium.com.au/products/up-and-go/up-and-goso you can get some decent nutrition through a straw (mind you still plenty of sugar and it might take 6 weeks to get there. 3. Are you still coming over for IMWA? I'm making the crazy assumption that you aren't going to do it, but that Kingsley is? 4. Are you having your WA wedding on 14/12/2014? Just so I can slot it in to my exceptionally busy calendar 5. Are you salt water rinsing your mouth 3-5 times a day? If not START NOW!

How come I'm always the froot-loop friend or the crazy aunt?

1. May and August

2. Thank you kindly, unfortunately I do have enough mush here.

3. Of COURSE I'm gonna do Busso. Heck, even with the tooth complications I was considering doing (a short) Tour de Bintan this weekend! (No, of course I'm not going to anymore. Sigh). We are getting married on the run course by hook crook or actual celebrant!

4. Yes

5. Yes. It helps healing but it hurts like a FAAAAAACHMIIIEEEEEE

And you, Stace Face, are you still able to come down to Busso weekend of IM? We have accommodation for you, remember

2014-11-03 9:58 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Oh, Yanti, Yanti, Yanti...first, congrats on signing up for not one, but TWO HIMs in your drug/pain induced state, and second, PLEASE heal soon!

Erin - your kiddos are just too cure for words.

Tom - good point about strengthening exercises, and I agree (IMO) that it is a smart idea to work the muscle groups that we don't use as much for SBR for general strength and well-being.

Mary - sound like you are close to getting a coach!  Exciting!

Jen - that race sounds like SUCH a cool idea!  I wish there would be something like that around here, I'd be all over it because it is so unique!

DH's and my race went good, thankfully the rain stayed just (and I mean just) east of us and the wind didn't get totally crazy until later.  I'll put up the RR when the finalized times/finishes get posted on the timing website.  I think he's hooked, though, even though this was just a small event.  We stopped at Dick's afterwards to get him some new cold weather running pants. Thanks to Randee's reminder about Headsweats, I ordered him his own, brand new race/training hat so he doesn't have to keep using one of my hand-me-downs.

2014-11-03 10:06 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Master
Orlando

Originally posted by melbo55

Oh, Yanti, Yanti, Yanti...first, congrats on signing up for not one, but TWO HIMs in your drug/pain induced state, and second, PLEASE heal soon!

Erin - your kiddos are just too cure for words.

Tom - good point about strengthening exercises, and I agree (IMO) that it is a smart idea to work the muscle groups that we don't use as much for SBR for general strength and well-being.

Jen - that race sounds like SUCH a cool idea!  I wish there would be something like that around here, I'd be all over it because it is so unique!

DH's and my race went good, thankfully the rain stayed just (and I mean just) east of us and the wind didn't get totally crazy until later.  I'll put up the RR when the finalized times/finishes get posted on the timing website.  I think he's hooked, though, even though this was just a small event.  We stopped at Dick's afterwards to get him some new cold weather running pants. Thanks to Randee's reminder about Headsweats, I ordered him his own, brand new race/training hat so he doesn't have to keep using one of my hand-me-downs.

Glad you had a good race and that your husband is hooked.  Sounds like a win-win race!

2014-11-03 10:08 AM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by melbo55

Yup, I've officially signed up and have a running analysis next week.  I'm so excited!!

Good news about your DH!!  You should get a toaster oven for all the people you've been recruiting to the racing lifestyle!!  Glad the weather cooperated too.  It's always helpful for a first race to not be a totally dripping wet miserably cold experience.

2014-11-03 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

/QUOTE]

Of course you signed up for 2 HIMs while in the throws of all the stuff you're in the throws of!  We would expect nothing less!!

2014-11-03 10:16 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

As if I would go through weekend without posting my goofballs. Right before heading out to TrT...

They're so cute!  Did you raid their candy haul??

2014-11-03 10:18 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Master
Orlando

I had a great time at my race yesterday.  It was a lot different from what I expected, but so much fun!  I'm not writing a race report, but if you're interested you can read about it in my logs.

2014-11-03 11:31 AM

User image

Pennsylvania

Race report,, and within a few days of the race for a change!

2014-11-03 12:02 PM

User image

Master

Originally posted by amd723

They're so cute!  Did you raid their candy haul??

We sneak pieces sometimes, but they're actually quite good about offering to share with us. I think they have enough to last til Valentine's :D

2014-11-03 1:15 PM

User image

Seattle

Ran/hiked up a mountain Saturday to the most beautiful lake I have ever seen:

Then our team won the Pacific Northwest Cross Country Championships on Sunday. I felt I ran really well. It was a 6K course, 3 2K loops. I ran the first very conservatively and built into it, getting stronger on each loop. I've not been training specifically for xc and using it more as a tool for marathon training + the setbacks left me about a minute slower than last year. Which I actually feel pretty good about. Maybe, just maybe with some hard work in the next three weeks I can do well at Regionals, a few weeks before my marathon. 

2014-11-03 1:38 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Then our team won the Pacific Northwest Cross Country Championships on Sunday. I felt I ran really well. It was a 6K course, 3 2K loops. I ran the first very conservatively and built into it, getting stronger on each loop. I've not been training specifically for xc and using it more as a tool for marathon training + the setbacks left me about a minute slower than last year. Which I actually feel pretty good about. Maybe, just maybe with some hard work in the next three weeks I can do well at Regionals, a few weeks before my marathon. 

Love the pants!!!!!!!! Oh yeah, pretty lake too

Sounds like you did great at the race, and there is not a doubt in my mind that you will be awesome at regionals!

2014-11-03 2:39 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Beautiful lake - wow!!  Congrats on the race results too!  Glad you felt good about it.  Love the team mascot.  Was there some fox hunting involved in the race as well? 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Mad Manatee Mentors v.2 thr.3 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes considered) Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Manatee Mentors 2014 v.2 thread2 CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 100 101 102 103

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 63452 Posts: 2563

2014-10-29 8:19 AM IndoIronYanti

Funked Up Triathletes - Season 2 - Olympic/Sprint Focus - Closed Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27

Started by funkj25
Views: 42833 Posts: 669

2018-01-16 11:34 PM aviatrix802

Manatee Monkey Mentors SHUT (Poptart or pet pic bribes considered) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 73112 Posts: 2488

2014-07-30 9:43 AM IndoIronYanti

Slornow and Wannabefaster's Summer Group-CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 51 52 53 54

Started by slornow
Views: 50859 Posts: 1331

2014-12-18 10:15 PM wannabefaster

Todd's Tri Turtles 3 (Beginner, Sprint, 5K, 10K) Basically Closed Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23

Started by Hunting Triathlete
Views: 25998 Posts: 569

2014-12-14 7:18 PM cassowary
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.

date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.
date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.

date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.
date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.