BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-03-23 2:13 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by rrrunner Apparently the PPM made Jeapordy

Awesome!!

2015-03-23 6:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Originally posted by Richardsdrr

Thanks everyone. A couple of hours in surgery and she's out and safe. That's the main thing.
ah nothing like a battle scar and ice-cream will fix everything (except maybe her headache).

When we were kids and my mum called the Dr they would say "will that be for stitches or plaster today Mrs Chambers?"

Edited by StaceyK 2015-03-23 6:38 PM
2015-03-24 9:13 AM
in reply to: StaceyK

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Melanie - CodFusion?  

Jen - So sorry to hear about the depth of the GI situation.  Take care!

Salty - I hope that you are feeling better.   Great news on the visually impaired guide application!

Yanti - I said it on FB and I'll say it again here.  I am so proud of you for taking care of yourself.  IM Taiwan will be there next year.

Darren - I think that 5:30 under BQ should get me in for 2016?  We'll see.  Sorry about your daughter had her Harry Potter forehead :-(

2015-03-24 10:21 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Janyne, it is good to see you back. After seeing Kevin's photo of you by the bell, then Judi's post in green, I had to start looking at your history a bit. In the past 4 years you have cut over 40 minutes off your marathon time.  And this one came after a bike crash/surgery, so it seemed even more impressive to me.  You've always been consistent, so did you do anything different in this training cycle?  I noticed that you were around 35-40 mpw those last few weeks prior to easing back. Is that normal marathon preparation for you?  I believe your coach put together your plan, no? How much of your plan did you hit on target and how much did you miss (days or objectives during a run)?  Was BQ a goal for this race? I thought Vineman was your "A" race and all else was prep/base.

Now for the touchy  age based question, which a man should never ask a woman.  But, we're all friends here so: How much did your recovery runs, stretching, and yoga days matter at your age?  Please don't take offense. I am a member of the same age group as you and it is more and more evident to me that those things matter.

I hope you don't mind the questions, as I find it all very interesting.

2015-03-24 10:44 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by cdban66

Janyne, it is good to see you back. After seeing Kevin's photo of you by the bell, then Judi's post in green, I had to start looking at your history a bit. In the past 4 years you have cut over 40 minutes off your marathon time.  And this one came after a bike crash/surgery, so it seemed even more impressive to me.  You've always been consistent, so did you do anything different in this training cycle?  I noticed that you were around 35-40 mpw those last few weeks prior to easing back. Is that normal marathon preparation for you?

I've done marathon builds two ways -- marathon only or marathon followed by HIM about five weeks later.  Marathon only is obviously much more run focused with only one day a week of riding and swimming.  This was a run only build with a a few weeks in the 46-47 range.  Last year I did a similar build for Myrtle Beach.  The main difference was the time between B2B in October and MB in February and the doG-awful race conditions last year at MB.

I also did MB in 2013.  The build included more tri stuff.  I did PR the event.  I attribute a lot of that to the recovery from a July IM to a February marathon.

I believe your coach put together your plan, no? How much of your plan did you hit on target and how much did you miss (days or objectives during a run)?  Was BQ a goal for this race? I thought Vineman was your "A" race and all else was prep/base.

Yes, my coach put together the plan.  I did not miss a single run.  For the speedwork, I did my best to hit the targets that were set out (10k pace, etc.).  I'm not saying that I always hit them but within reason, you know?  I do kind of wonder my two weeks of of weather-induced indoor running during speedwork time was a blessing in disguise? I much prefer to run outside than on the treadmill but it has the advantage of making you hold your pace. 

Goals for the race:  Finish with a smile on my face, PR, BQ, finish with the 3:45 pace group.   Shamrock and Vineman are my A races for the year.  I hope to do well at RnR Raleigh as well.  That one is more of an A-/B+ race.

Now for the touchy  age based question, which a man should never ask a woman.  But, we're all friends here so: How much did your recovery runs, stretching, and yoga days matter at your age?  Please don't take offense. I am a member of the same age group as you and it is more and more evident to me that those things matter.

I hope you don't mind the questions, as I find it all very interesting.

Stretching.  I know that cold stretching gets a bad rap.  I do a lot of my running in the morning.  Rolling out of bed and slapping on my shoes is not good for me.  I do the stretching and dynamic stuff in the morning (Emma thinks that I'm nuts with my soldier marching, etc.) before I run as a warm up of sorts. 

Yoga does help.  I don't always love yoga class but when I wake up the next morning I'm always glad that I went. 

Massage helps as well.

2015-03-24 10:48 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I too would love to hear more about your training and buildup to your race.  I am so impressed with your results and hope to someday get to Boston.  Can't wait to hear the race report too.  I am very curious about your race strategy.  Congrats again.

Edit: you are indeed speedy as you answered Chris before I could post

Edited by popsracer 2015-03-24 10:49 AM

2015-03-24 11:28 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

How mental was mile 20-26.2???? Strava shows a bit of a change in pace.

Only stretching or foam rolling as well? You mentioned massage. What role do you think PT played, if any?

And you always finish with a smile on your face!  Well, OK, maybe not BikeMS, but there were extenuating circumstances

2015-03-24 12:29 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

How mental was mile 20-26.2???? Strava shows a bit of a change in pace.

I was with the group until 21.  By 22 I could see them 100+ yards in front of me but I was off the back.  22-24 were where I gave myself a mental toughness pep talk.  I was still picking off people through here.  24 to the end, I was the one being picked off.

Only stretching or foam rolling as well? You mentioned massage. What role do you think PT played, if any?

Stretching regularly, foam rolling as needed.  Massage at least every 5 weeks.  I don't think PT for the shoulder had any role whatsoever with recovery for the legs ;-)

And you always finish with a smile on your face!  Well, OK, maybe not BikeMS, but there were extenuating circumstances

Tent city

2015-03-24 12:33 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Thanks Janyne, I look forward to the RR. I find the whole thing interesting and it has been educational for me watching you go through this cycle.  I'm fairly certain a mary may be in the future, but I'm also certain I have a long way to go to get there!

2015-03-24 5:27 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Quiet in Manatee-Land today.  Everybody must be working or something.  How silly.

2015-03-24 6:13 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Originally posted by laffinrock

Quiet in Manatee-Land today.  Everybody must be working or something.  How silly.

I keep popping over for updates.

ENTERTAIN ME PEOPLE! LOL

2015-03-24 6:44 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Veteran
Western Australia
Sorry I have been out of action so much. Work has been beyond crazy and the stress of it has really messed with my sleeping which has messed with everything else.

I have almost survived to auditors - they have promised my report today so here's hoping I have managed to answer all of their questions satisfactorily. I did jokingly tell them that I had pink underwear on one day in case they needed to know that because they needed everything else under the sun. We have 2 big building projects going on at present, the first in over 15 years for our company and managing both of them has landed on my desk.

Also our Board of Directors are looking at changing their Governance structure and our current CEO is lazy as and dumb as too short planks so a lot of that has ended up on my desk. The Board have started to put a lot of pressure on her and told me to "stop saving her butt" (which I have been doing for the last 2 years). I have been reluctant to do this because it just doesn't seem right to me because it affects other people not just her. But then one day last week she tried to throw me in front of the bus that was aimed directly at her on at least 3 separate occasions, twice in front of the board, most of whom looked at me with a silly little grin on their face and redirected back to her.

I'm contemplating how to have this discussion with her, or whether it is even worth wasting my breath. I know it won't achieve anything, but the Board Chairman has assured me it will at least make me feel better. He has instructed me to be very blunt and be prepared for her to yell and cry (he has had a similar conversation with her recently).

So here is hoping that after today things can settle down a bit and I can stop working from 7am to 10pm and cut it back to 8am to 7pm and get some training in, which will also most likely help me to sleep better.
2015-03-25 6:33 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

I hope things calm for you soon, Stacey. I really hope that things adjust more permanently in the long run.

2015-03-25 8:13 AM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

I keep popping over for updates.

ENTERTAIN ME PEOPLE! LOL

LOL! Me too!

Happy Birthday Mississippieeee!!!!

I figured everyone was getting bored of all my newby/pacing questions, but since it's quiet in here......

I have my first triathlon on Saturday. It's a "Sprint". 300 meter swim, 14 mile bike, 3 mile run. How does everyone approach these "short" races? Just go all out on the swim and the bike and then try and just gut your way through a decent run? My run is my weakest link at this point so I think that's what I'm going to do. Well not exactly go all out on the swim. I'll bust it but if I go all out I won't be able to breath much less run to transition after. Is 80%-90% of max HR on the bike ok or will I just not be able to run unless I hold back a little? Please share your sprint strategies. Thanks!
2015-03-25 8:15 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

I hope things calm for you soon, Stacey. I really hope that things adjust more permanently in the long run.

Agreed! That is not sustainable! I don't know how you're doing it.
2015-03-25 8:17 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by StaceyK Sorry I have been out of action so much. Work has been beyond crazy and the stress of it has really messed with my sleeping which has messed with everything else. I have almost survived to auditors - they have promised my report today so here's hoping I have managed to answer all of their questions satisfactorily. I did jokingly tell them that I had pink underwear on one day in case they needed to know that because they needed everything else under the sun. We have 2 big building projects going on at present, the first in over 15 years for our company and managing both of them has landed on my desk. Also our Board of Directors are looking at changing their Governance structure and our current CEO is lazy as and dumb as too short planks so a lot of that has ended up on my desk. The Board have started to put a lot of pressure on her and told me to "stop saving her butt" (which I have been doing for the last 2 years). I have been reluctant to do this because it just doesn't seem right to me because it affects other people not just her. But then one day last week she tried to throw me in front of the bus that was aimed directly at her on at least 3 separate occasions, twice in front of the board, most of whom looked at me with a silly little grin on their face and redirected back to her. I'm contemplating how to have this discussion with her, or whether it is even worth wasting my breath. I know it won't achieve anything, but the Board Chairman has assured me it will at least make me feel better. He has instructed me to be very blunt and be prepared for her to yell and cry (he has had a similar conversation with her recently). So here is hoping that after today things can settle down a bit and I can stop working from 7am to 10pm and cut it back to 8am to 7pm and get some training in, which will also most likely help me to sleep better.

Stacey, I really hope that you got some good news today and at least the auditors will be out of the picture for the next 11+ months.  Take care!

2015-03-25 8:19 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black

I keep popping over for updates. ENTERTAIN ME PEOPLE! LOL
LOL! Me too! Happy Birthday Mississippieeee!!!! I figured everyone was getting bored of all my newby/pacing questions, but since it's quiet in here...... I have my first triathlon on Saturday. It's a "Sprint". 300 meter swim, 14 mile bike, 3 mile run. How does everyone approach these "short" races? Just go all out on the swim and the bike and then try and just gut your way through a decent run? My run is my weakest link at this point so I think that's what I'm going to do. Well not exactly go all out on the swim. I'll bust it but if I go all out I won't be able to breath much less run to transition after. Is 80%-90% of max HR on the bike ok or will I just not be able to run unless I hold back a little? Please share your sprint strategies. Thanks!

What is your goal for the event?

2015-03-25 8:26 AM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by jmkizer

LOL! Me too! Happy Birthday Mississippieeee!!!! I figured everyone was getting bored of all my newby/pacing questions, but since it's quiet in here...... I have my first triathlon on Saturday. It's a "Sprint". 300 meter swim, 14 mile bike, 3 mile run. How does everyone approach these "short" races? Just go all out on the swim and the bike and then try and just gut your way through a decent run? My run is my weakest link at this point so I think that's what I'm going to do. Well not exactly go all out on the swim. I'll bust it but if I go all out I won't be able to breath much less run to transition after. Is 80%-90% of max HR on the bike ok or will I just not be able to run unless I hold back a little? Please share your sprint strategies. Thanks!

To finish in the least amount of time as possible. I want to race it.

Edit: I'd rather blow up then feel like I left something out there.

Edited by Jet Black 2015-03-25 8:51 AM
2015-03-25 10:19 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Saw this and thought of MattTX:

Matt, that'll make you even faster 

2015-03-25 10:25 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by Jet Black [Happy Birthday Mississippieeee!!!!

Thanks, Sean.

Yesterday was my first lawyer ride of the year.  Man have these guys gotten fast.  Here's the segment of my ride where I hung on to the front guys before I got dropped:
https://www.strava.com/activities/273677257/analysis/344/1330

The overall power during that time (237W) wasn't that bad, but it's very spikey.  The attacks that come with every hill are intense.  There was one where I had to spike to over 800W to stay with the guy in front of me.  I got to a point where my mouth was getting dry, but the pace was so hard that moving my hands from the handlebars meant slowing down too much and getting dropped.  Eventually I had to risk it and then I was gone.  

Better luck next week.

Edited by msteiner 2015-03-25 10:26 AM
2015-03-25 10:28 AM

User image

Katy, Texas

Saw this and thought of MattTX:

Matt, that'll make you even faster 

That's awesome. It's starting to make sense that Matt moved to Austin where everything there is the best color of orange, burnt orange.

2015-03-25 10:29 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

Happy Birthday !!

2015-03-25 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

To finish in the least amount of time as possible. I want to race it. Edit: I'd rather blow up then feel like I left something out there.

For sprints I pretty much go all out the entire race.  I'm on the verge of puking by the end of each run.

2015-03-25 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

To finish in the least amount of time as possible. I want to race it. Edit: I'd rather blow up then feel like I left something out there.

This being your first, there will be inherent "Educational Opportunities".  That being said, I'm not sure how that education will factor into HIM racing(I'm thinking of Galveston in a month or so for you), but I'm sure some of it will. Since you state that you'd rather blow up than feel like the tank wasn't drained, then what do you have to lose?  Go with the high effort.  Do what you can on the swim, bust out a speedy bike, run until it hurts, then run some more.

ETA: Ann-Marie is dead on!  In a well executed race, one feels quite ill as one passes the finish line.

My personal approach would be different, though. I found that there was so much that I learned in my first encounter with triathlon, which was through volunteering.  It was simple stuff, but really helpful.  Things like sign in, transition entries and exits, (dis)mount lines, and a ton of other details that I hadn't even considered existed.  Then I figured out more stuff in my first couple of races like transitions, clothing choices, bike rack placement, and pacing.  I'm 4 years, although not many races per year, into this, and I'm still figuring out some things that work well for me. YMMV, but above all else, enjoy the experience and thank the volunteers.

Edited by cdban66 2015-03-25 10:40 AM
2015-03-25 10:38 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by amd723

For sprints I pretty much go all out the entire race.  I'm on the verge of puking by the end of each run.

For a quick response to this, going "all out" is likely to be assumed as "for the distance" in which case this is the goal of every race one is going for the least time possible regardless of the distance.

What you want to do is quantify the "for the distance" part with effort levels from some of the workouts. Likely ones that better represent what you'll see in the race. For a sprint, take a look at threshold level workouts. This will be close.

Edited by brigby1 2015-03-25 10:39 AM
New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15402 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28045 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11845 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66312 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54684 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.