BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-04-22 5:05 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by msteiner

I'm drafting for now to sprint past you both at the end.

Better go for the break away now bro! They're both going to be throwing down ~5+ hrs on Sunday while you're sleeping in.

Maybe you should plan to use this.  Or would that be cheating?

2015-04-22 8:01 PM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by msteiner

Originally posted by JJ-
Originally posted by rrrunner

Originally posted by JJ- Matt!!!! Ummmm.....We should not be leading the week on Race Week Taper....Something is not right!

I think taper doesn't mean what you think it means

I was just kidding...

I'm drafting for now to sprint past you both at the end.

Wow, I needed this.  LMAO.

And as for how many hours I'll be doing this weekend, I look at tris like I do golf.  The more strokes I take, the more I get my money's worth (not that I've played in years).  No telling how long I'll be on course!  

Matt

2015-04-23 3:45 AM
in reply to: mcmanusclan5

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

I think I just had the shortest bout with achilles tendonitis in history.  I can't believe it and am thrilled.  Saturday I strained it pretty good and could hardly walk through Sunday.  Monday I was limping badly with pain.  Tuesday walking almost normal.  This evening I was able to run three cautious, easy miles.  This is very strange but wonderful.

Also had one of my best swims to date.  100's solidly at 1:25 and 50's at :40 seconds.  Never thought it would ever happen.  Really a good day.

2015-04-23 7:44 AM
in reply to: popsracer

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by popsracer

I think I just had the shortest bout with achilles tendonitis in history.  I can't believe it and am thrilled.  Saturday I strained it pretty good and could hardly walk through Sunday.  Monday I was limping badly with pain.  Tuesday walking almost normal.  This evening I was able to run three cautious, easy miles.  This is very strange but wonderful.

Also had one of my best swims to date.  100's solidly at 1:25 and 50's at :40 seconds.  Never thought it would ever happen.  Really a good day.

That's awesome Steve, on both accounts!! I guess you're feeling pretty good about your HIM training going forward then?
2015-04-23 8:06 AM

User image

Veteran
East Texas

That's awesome on both accounts
2015-04-23 8:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Western Australia

Great job on the swim Steve and I'm so glad your Achilles is better already - it pays to listen to your body every now and then

2015-04-23 9:20 AM

User image

Denver, CO

YAY!!! 

2015-04-23 9:46 AM

User image

Master
Orlando

That's great!

2015-04-23 10:42 AM
in reply to: amd723

User image

Denver, CO

Saw this article this morning about about the girl who was 1/1871 women and 11/2970 OA in a local 5k.  Her time was 19:18 and her PR is 18:07.  The first time her mom timed her, she did a 5:40 mile.  Speedy kid!!  I'll definitely be eating her dust this weekend when she defends her title.

Just looked at other results for that race and there was a 5 year-old who did the 5k in 24:23.  a 5 year-old!!

2015-04-23 12:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Fantastic! 

I'm envious on the Achilles (mine still is sore three months in) and super happy for you on the swim. 

Those are some speedy times!  Have you been working on form?  Fitness?  Both?

Matt

2015-04-23 12:22 PM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA

Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Fantastic! 

I'm envious on the Achilles (mine still is sore three months in) and super happy for you on the swim. 

Those are some speedy times!  Have you been working on form?  Fitness?  Both?

Matt

I went through three years of achilles issues and finally pulled out of it.  I tried everything and what worked best for me was to stay active but at very reduced intensity and duration.  It just seemed to heal quicker if I kept it stretched out.  This round was nothing short of a miracle.

On the swim, it is a combination of form and fitness.  I was huffing and puffing on the last few but also had a few that dipped down to 1:24 and :39.  It wasn't a lot of reps either.  I just don't have time during my lunch break to get in many more yards.  I'm swimming 2100 continuous at about 35 minutes without killing myself so with an HIM goal of a sub-40 minute swim I think I'll be there.  Eight more weeks to go.

wu: 500
3 x 100 @ 1:25
5 x 50 @ :40
200 recovery
3 x 100 @ 1:25
5 x 50 @ :40

2015-04-23 1:13 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Woo hoo!  This is great news!

2015-04-23 3:19 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut
Sounds great Steve - baby that Achilles though!

Mary - you may be slower than her but YOU are old enough to go out for a beer after

Quiet day 'round the pod today. Everyone must be gearing up for the weekend. WOOT!

2015-04-23 3:59 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Sounds great Steve - baby that Achilles though! Mary - you may be slower than her but YOU are old enough to go out for a beer after Quiet day 'round the pod today. Everyone must be gearing up for the weekend. WOOT!

Yeah yeah, don't rub it in.  I'm old enough to be her grandmother!!

2015-04-23 4:03 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Originally posted by laffinrock

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk Sounds great Steve - baby that Achilles though! Mary - you may be slower than her but YOU are old enough to go out for a beer after Quiet day 'round the pod today. Everyone must be gearing up for the weekend. WOOT!

Yes, but you don't have to deal with puberty and junior high

2015-04-23 4:21 PM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Denver, CO

I can't tell you grateful I am to not have to deal with that!!!!!

2015-04-23 4:44 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

With kids in 5th, 7th and 9th grades, I get to re-experience it vicariously.  Wow...

Spent the last few hours trying to find a new place to stay for this weekend's race.  The woman who rented us the condo called and said that she never got a deposit and so rented the place out.  When The Better Half pointed out that the transaction was verified on PayPal, condo-beyotch allowed that "well-look-at-that!" she had indeed received it but triple booked the unit.  Oops.  Sorry. 

So, I'm now going to be ensconced in a room at least for Saturday night fairly close by (last room available within miles, it seems).  So much for a family weekend in Galveston (doh!), but I guess that means I can just focus on the race.  Not what I was shootin' for, mind you, but ok in the end (as the fam would have had to leave early Sunday anyway to get back for a swim club kickoff party).

Once again, first world problems strike. 

Matt

2015-04-23 4:48 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

With kids in 5th, 7th and 9th grades, I get to re-experience it vicariously.  Wow...

Spent the last few hours trying to find a new place to stay for this weekend's race.  The woman who rented us the condo called and said that she never got a deposit and so rented the place out.  When The Better Half pointed out that the transaction was verified on PayPal, condo-beyotch allowed that "well-look-at-that!" she had indeed received it but triple booked the unit.  Oops.  Sorry. 

So, I'm now going to be ensconced in a room at least for Saturday night fairly close by (last room available within miles, it seems).  So much for a family weekend in Galveston (doh!), but I guess that means I can just focus on the race.  Not what I was shootin' for, mind you, but ok in the end (as the fam would have had to leave early Sunday anyway to get back for a swim club kickoff party).

Matt

That's messed up

2015-04-23 5:24 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Matt

That stinks!

2015-04-24 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Matt

Sounds like you may have been "better-dealed". I hope it all works out for you. Are y'all meeting up at any point? And if so, will there be pictoral proof of this meetup???? I wanna see a good sized representation of BT'rs there.

2015-04-24 9:14 AM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Woo hoo!  This is great news!

WooHoo indeed!!!!

2015-04-24 9:27 AM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Katy, Texas
That sucks Matt!! Glad you were able to get a room somewhere!

There will definitely be a meet up at some point w/ pictorial proof.
2015-04-24 9:40 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Jet Black That sucks Matt!! Glad you were able to get a room somewhere! There will definitely be a meet up at some point w/ pictorial proof.

You know the mantra: "Pictures or it didn't happen!" 

Hope you all have a fabulous weekend, Matt's condo fiasco notwithstanding.

2015-04-24 9:56 AM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

So what do you all think about having fast food biscuits (kfc, cfa...) on race morning? One of my best long runs was the morning that I had left-over home made biscuits w/ honey befor my run.  My race is a traveling race so I can't make them. So buy fast food or stick with toast?

BTW, race profile =

(CMelev.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
CMelev.JPG (119KB - 2 downloads)
2015-04-24 10:02 AM
in reply to: rrrunner

User image

Master
Orlando

So what do you all think about having fast food biscuits (kfc, cfa...) on race morning? One of my best long runs was the morning that I had left-over home made biscuits w/ honey befor my run.  My race is a traveling race so I can't make them. So buy fast food or stick with toast?

BTW, race profile =

Wow, glad you're running left to right!! Although, your quads will probably think otherwise!

The one time I ate something I never ate before a run, I was a very sad marathoner!! But this is a biscuit to biscuit exchange, so you'd probably be ok.  Still, if you have any concerns, why risk it??  

I think I've been very helpful with my go ahead, but don't do it advice 

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15348 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 27917 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11810 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66213 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54539 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.