BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-04-28 11:29 AM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Seattle
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Although I MAY get this tool roll in orange...because it's cute

2015-04-28 11:40 AM

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Speaking of orange....

I've got everything lined up to custom paint my bike and make it look awwweeessssommme.

I'm going to disassemble it in the next few days and drop it off to be painted flat black (while we are on vacation) then an awesome BTer is going to reassemble it for me and swap out the cables (orange) and grips/pedals (blue) and then I got a new headtube badge.

So, flat black,  orange and blue. 

Sweet!  You'll definitely have to post pictures when it's done.

2015-04-28 11:53 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by cdban66

Very exciting!

My MTB is a Jamis although the branding is about to go out the window.

The headtube badge is from a local hand-made bike accessory place https://www.builtbyswift.com/

They mainly specialize in bike touring/bike camping stuff. Which is kind of how I am going to use my MTB. My little adventure machine. 

So, are you going to go with racks/panniers and such? Some of the MTB guys mentioned meeting some fellow riders that you would really like. Full racks and packs and no wasted space. I'm thinking you'll have a trailer for gear in no time!

No, no remember I am a minimalist.

I don't see myself doing much in the way of multi-day or anything. More just biking to a base camp for a 1-nighter. I'll just use a pack. I'm scheming the feasibility of getting everything I need into my 21L pack, which will be a feat but I think I can do it. 

I am a fan of starting small and growing into something, it is just the way I work.  This may help you (or maybe not!):

http://www.pushingthepedals.com/2012/04/an-overnight-bike-camping-kit/

These guys are out of your neck of the woods:

http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.com/fall-camping-fat-bike/

I'm sure you've done the research though, so this is probably just repitition.

2015-04-28 11:54 AM
in reply to: msteiner

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by msteiner

I hit a 20s power average of 839W this morning.  Feeling pretty good heading into road racing this weekend.

Day-um!  Go rip off some legs!

2015-04-28 12:07 PM

User image

Denver, CO

I hit a 20s power average of 839W this morning.  Feeling pretty good heading into road racing this weekend.

Marriage obviously agrees with you!!    Keep up the good work.  Looks like you're ready to tear up the road at your upcoming race - go get 'em!

2015-04-28 12:15 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Some of you have asked, so here it is. This is from TW:

That bike looks fast!

2015-04-28 12:15 PM
in reply to: laffinrock

User image

Master

I'm probably way behind learning about them, but have you guys seen these? J picked up a couple recently and they're pretty cool.

http://www.silipint.com/

2015-04-28 12:16 PM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by Jet Black
Originally posted by mcmanusclan5

Hey - thanks for all the well wishes on the race, oh podmates!  Great day and even better company. 

Been digging out back at work from all the stuff I've let maaaaaaaybe slide a little on the way up to the race. 

Learned a ton on this one - still processing some of it, but will write up a RR in the next couple days.

Some highlights:  condo-madness, sunburn, no wetsuits, fire ants, hail on the bike and some carnage generally on the run course once the sun came out - but a really good race for me (and a bunch of other BTers, to boot) from an execution and fitness test standpoint.

Felt great after the race and am now really psyched for race season!

Thanks again to all for the "community encouragement" leading into this one.  As others have said, it makes a difference!

Matt

I'll echo Matt's sentiments here, thank you all so much for the support, compliments and congratulations! I have learned so much from this group and really appreciate everything! Matt & Jonathan - it was really great to meet y'all in person. Wish there would have been more time to chat. Lots of stuff went well, but for the first time I had to deal with some adversity. I learned a lot from what I think my mistakes were, but as a race this long is so hard to duplicate in training I'm not too upset. I'll try and type up my full race report this afternoon.

I see how you slipped that y'all in there!  Good work!

2015-04-28 12:20 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by laffinrock

Now that's a mighty sweet looking machine!  Oh, and the bike looks pretty awesome too.   Congrats on the new ride.  How many are you up to now?  6? 8? S-1?

My stable includes a road bike, a fixie, an old hardtail MTB, and the Xenith. But, DD2 has the hardtail, so really I only have 3. 

You are worse than Kevin.  He has a mountain bike in every size -- yes 26", 650B and 29" and he has my old road bike (Trek 2200) which is exclusively for trainer use (it's fit to him now so for his trainer use) and now he is talking about he really should have a road bike because if the trail are closed due to rain/mud, he still wants to get out.  Yikes!

2015-04-28 12:44 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Now that's a mighty sweet looking machine!  Oh, and the bike looks pretty awesome too.   Congrats on the new ride.  How many are you up to now?  6? 8? S-1?

My stable includes a road bike, a fixie, an old hardtail MTB, and the Xenith. But, DD2 has the hardtail, so really I only have 3. 

You are worse than Kevin.  He has a mountain bike in every size -- yes 26", 650B and 29" and he has my old road bike (Trek 2200) which is exclusively for trainer use (it's fit to him now so for his trainer use) and now he is talking about he really should have a road bike because if the trail are closed due to rain/mud, he still wants to get out.  Yikes!

Wait, no 27.5???? Or is the 650B=27.5"? Are these hard or soft tails, since we all need to have at least one of each? Hmm, let me talk to him. He'll find that he needs at least 3 more.  Doesn't he kayak as well? 

I do agree with a roadie though. 

2015-04-28 12:48 PM

User image

Seattle

Very exciting!

The headtube badge is from a local hand-made bike accessory place https://www.builtbyswift.com/

They mainly specialize in bike touring/bike camping stuff. Which is kind of how I am going to use my MTB. My little adventure machine. 

So, are you going to go with racks/panniers and such? Some of the MTB guys mentioned meeting some fellow riders that you would really like. Full racks and packs and no wasted space. I'm thinking you'll have a trailer for gear in no time!

I don't see myself doing much in the way of multi-day or anything. More just biking to a base camp for a 1-nighter. I'll just use a pack. I'm scheming the feasibility of getting everything I need into my 21L pack, which will be a feat but I think I can do it. 

I am a fan of starting small and growing into something, it is just the way I work.  This may help you (or maybe not!):

Yeah. I'd say I am a pretty seasoned backcountry camper. And not just that but a minimalist/lightweight type. So, it works well on the bike.

Really it's just making sure I have the bike tools in addition to my other stuff. 

Did you happen to notice the second to last photo on that last link you posted?

2015-04-28 12:48 PM

User image

Master

Ummmm...aren't you on a honeymoon or something?

2015-04-28 12:49 PM
in reply to: 4agoodlife

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

I'm probably way behind learning about them, but have you guys seen these? J picked up a couple recently and they're pretty cool.

http://www.silipint.com/

I LOVE these. We have a couple of em. 

2015-04-28 12:51 PM

User image

Master

Although I MAY get this tool roll in orange...because it's cute

Wouldn't a minimalist fit ALL the gear into the roll?

Cool that you've got everything going with the bike plans already!

2015-04-28 12:54 PM

User image

Master

Very exciting!

Yeah. I'd say I am a pretty seasoned backcountry camper. And not just that but a minimalist/lightweight type. So, it works well on the bike.

Really it's just making sure I have the bike tools in addition to my other stuff. 

Your pre-race dune?

2015-04-28 12:55 PM

User image

Denver, CO

Wait, no 27.5???? Or is the 650B=27.5"? Are these hard or soft tails, since we all need to have at least one of each? Hmm, let me talk to him. He'll find that he needs at least 3 more.  Doesn't he kayak as well? 

Then there's also the CX option to consider... 

2015-04-28 12:56 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Very exciting!

Your pre-race dune?

Gliding across it on a fat tire bike has to be easier. I'm just saying.

2015-04-28 12:58 PM

User image

Master
Orlando

Speaking of orange....

I've got everything lined up to custom paint my bike and make it look awwweeessssommme.

I'm going to disassemble it in the next few days and drop it off to be painted flat black (while we are on vacation) then an awesome BTer is going to reassemble it for me and swap out the cables (orange) and grips/pedals (blue) and then I got a new headtube badge.

So, flat black,  orange and blue. 

As a Florida Gator hater, I love everything but the orange and blue color scheme.  I think you'd find garnet and gold or blue and gold much nicer

User image

Seattle

Very exciting!

Your pre-race dune?

Yeah, man, why didn't  you post this sooner!?!?!

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Fat Tire. Touring bike. Fixed gear. I can find lots of reasons for him to shop the LBS. 

I think my opportunity to actually meet Kevin is shrinking by the moment. 

2015-04-28 1:00 PM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Very exciting!

Your pre-race dune?

Gary at the LBS has started selling them and is a big time fan for riding them here. I saw one leaving the store when I picked up mine.

2015-04-28 1:04 PM

User image

Seattle

Very exciting!

Your pre-race dune?

Gary at the LBS has started selling them and is a big time fan for riding them here. I saw one leaving the store when I picked up mine.

We rented them in the snow over the new year. They were fun but I felt more novelty. Have you ridden one? 

2015-04-28 1:05 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Ummmm...aren't you on a honeymoon or something?

Not quite yet.  We're not going on our honeymoon until the middle of May.

2015-04-28 1:23 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Yes, 27.5".  All there are full $uspension.  Yes, that's a lot of bike.  The 26" bike is just not that great a bike.  He was going to selling but just hasn't.  It's now the "guest bike."  The 29er is a Santa Cruz and is a nice bike but eats sticks which means it also eats derailleurs.  The 650B is a Yeti which Kevin claims "wants to go fast." 

He has pretty much transitioned from kayaking to biking.  I think that he just likes the mtb folks better than the kayak folks.  Also, you can do a trail on your own, you are at the mercy of others when setting up a shuttle on a river.  The kayaks are also in the garage.   He has one flatwater and two whitewater boats. Yes, we can also get the cars in the garage.

2015-04-28 1:26 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

I sold my mtb and got a CX bike instead.  The way that I was using the mtb, the cross bike made more sense.  Also, the cross bike is more compatible with my car (easier to haul).  I don't think that Kevin is interested in a Cx bike but never say never...

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15436 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28090 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11863 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66348 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54759 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.