BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 107

2015-04-28 1:46 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
Subject: RE: Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?)

Originally posted by Asalzwed

Originally posted by cdban66

Originally posted by 4agoodlife

Very exciting!

My MTB is a Jamis although the branding is about to go out the window.

The headtube badge is from a local hand-made bike accessory place https://www.builtbyswift.com/

They mainly specialize in bike touring/bike camping stuff. Which is kind of how I am going to use my MTB. My little adventure machine. 

So, are you going to go with racks/panniers and such? Some of the MTB guys mentioned meeting some fellow riders that you would really like. Full racks and packs and no wasted space. I'm thinking you'll have a trailer for gear in no time!

No, no remember I am a minimalist.

I don't see myself doing much in the way of multi-day or anything. More just biking to a base camp for a 1-nighter. I'll just use a pack. I'm scheming the feasibility of getting everything I need into my 21L pack, which will be a feat but I think I can do it. 

I am a fan of starting small and growing into something, it is just the way I work.  This may help you (or maybe not!):

http://www.pushingthepedals.com/2012/04/an-overnight-bike-camping-kit/

These guys are out of your neck of the woods:

http://seattlebackpackersmagazine.com/fall-camping-fat-bike/

I'm sure you've done the research though, so this is probably just repitition.

Yeah. I'd say I am a pretty seasoned backcountry camper. And not just that but a minimalist/lightweight type. So, it works well on the bike.

Really it's just making sure I have the bike tools in addition to my other stuff. 

Did you happen to notice the second to last photo on that last link you posted?

Your pre-race dune?

Gliding across it on a fat tire bike has to be easier. I'm just saying.

Yeah, man, why didn't  you post this sooner!?!?!

Gary at the LBS has started selling them and is a big time fan for riding them here. I saw one leaving the store when I picked up mine.

We rented them in the snow over the new year. They were fun but I felt more novelty. Have you ridden one? 

I am yet to try a fat tire.  I look at it as a novelty and I really don't want to try something else and decide I "need" that too. I do see value though, given the amount of sand in this area. We don't have dirt. Just sand. My MTB has 2 inch tires. I've had rubbing issues on the frame in the past, which prompted the overhaul. It barely has clearence and any little thing was screwing it up. But wider tires make it easier in the sand.

2015-04-28 1:48 PM
in reply to: jmkizer

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

Originally posted by jmkizer

Originally posted by laffinrock

Some of you have asked, so here it is. This is from TW:

Now that's a mighty sweet looking machine!  Oh, and the bike looks pretty awesome too.   Congrats on the new ride.  How many are you up to now?  6? 8? S-1?

My stable includes a road bike, a fixie, an old hardtail MTB, and the Xenith. But, DD2 has the hardtail, so really I only have 3. 

You are worse than Kevin.  He has a mountain bike in every size -- yes 26", 650B and 29" and he has my old road bike (Trek 2200) which is exclusively for trainer use (it's fit to him now so for his trainer use) and now he is talking about he really should have a road bike because if the trail are closed due to rain/mud, he still wants to get out.  Yikes!

Wait, no 27.5???? Or is the 650B=27.5"? Are these hard or soft tails, since we all need to have at least one of each? Hmm, let me talk to him. He'll find that he needs at least 3 more.  Doesn't he kayak as well? 

I do agree with a roadie though. 

Yes, 27.5".  All there are full $uspension.  Yes, that's a lot of bike.  The 26" bike is just not that great a bike.  He was going to selling but just hasn't.  It's now the "guest bike."  The 29er is a Santa Cruz and is a nice bike but eats sticks which means it also eats derailleurs.  The 650B is a Yeti which Kevin claims "wants to go fast." 

He has pretty much transitioned from kayaking to biking.  I think that he just likes the mtb folks better than the kayak folks.  Also, you can do a trail on your own, you are at the mercy of others when setting up a shuttle on a river.  The kayaks are also in the garage.   He has one flatwater and two whitewater boats. Yes, we can also get the cars in the garage.

I met a kid last year that races MTB in college. She's on a Yeti. Kevin is right, it does want to go fast, from what I've seen.

Hey, if the flatwater yak is a sit-in style, single person, I may know someone that wants to buy it. Delivery might be a challenge though!

2015-04-28 2:29 PM
in reply to: IndoIronYanti

User image

Katy, Texas
2015-04-28 2:29 PM
in reply to: cdban66

User image

Denver, CO

Now that's a mighty sweet looking machine!  Oh, and the bike looks pretty awesome too.   Congrats on the new ride.  How many are you up to now?  6? 8? S-1?

My stable includes a road bike, a fixie, an old hardtail MTB, and the Xenith. But, DD2 has the hardtail, so really I only have 3. 

You are worse than Kevin.  He has a mountain bike in every size -- yes 26", 650B and 29" and he has my old road bike (Trek 2200) which is exclusively for trainer use (it's fit to him now so for his trainer use) and now he is talking about he really should have a road bike because if the trail are closed due to rain/mud, he still wants to get out.  Yikes!

Wait, no 27.5???? Or is the 650B=27.5"? Are these hard or soft tails, since we all need to have at least one of each? Hmm, let me talk to him. He'll find that he needs at least 3 more.  Doesn't he kayak as well? 

Yes, 27.5".  All there are full $uspension.  Yes, that's a lot of bike.  The 26" bike is just not that great a bike.  He was going to selling but just hasn't.  It's now the "guest bike."  The 29er is a Santa Cruz and is a nice bike but eats sticks which means it also eats derailleurs.  The 650B is a Yeti which Kevin claims "wants to go fast." 

He has pretty much transitioned from kayaking to biking.  I think that he just likes the mtb folks better than the kayak folks.  Also, you can do a trail on your own, you are at the mercy of others when setting up a shuttle on a river.  The kayaks are also in the garage.   He has one flatwater and two whitewater boats. Yes, we can also get the cars in the garage.

I met a kid last year that races MTB in college. She's on a Yeti. Kevin is right, it does want to go fast, from what I've seen.

Hey, if the flatwater yak is a sit-in style, single person, I may know someone that wants to buy it. Delivery might be a challenge though!

It could be a plausible excuse to meet Kevin.  And who would know if you "just happened" to slip over to the LBS while en route?  Except maybe Janyne when Kevin shows up with a new bike.

Janyne, how big is your garage?!

2015-04-28 2:43 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Then there's also the CX option to consider... 

I sold my mtb and got a CX bike instead.  The way that I was using the mtb, the cross bike made more sense.  Also, the cross bike is more compatible with my car (easier to haul).  I don't think that Kevin is interested in a Cx bike but never say never...

It's a two car garage.  The boats are on the ceiling -- pulley system.  I have a small car so my bikes fit fine in front of my car.  Kevin needs to do something about his side of the garage.  I'm not happy with his bike fleet storage situation.  That's too much... $uspen$ion ... to accidentally wreck.

2015-04-28 2:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Dayton

Question. Did those with power meters use TrainerRoad or something like it beforehand? I'm wondering if a power meter would read my power higher than TR has it.  This is a guess based on the fact that my trainer estimates speed low, due to how much I have to tighten down the resistance cylinder to keep the tire from slipping.

Naturally I hope the true power would be higher.

2015-04-28 3:16 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Originally posted by ponderingfox

Question. Did those with power meters use TrainerRoad or something like it beforehand? I'm wondering if a power meter would read my power higher than TR has it.  This is a guess based on the fact that my trainer estimates speed low, due to how much I have to tighten down the resistance cylinder to keep the tire from slipping.

I used a Travel Trac fluid and found it closeish to my PT, but overall it was a "it depends" type deal.  I'd just focus on keeping the setup consistent and try to make the number bigger.  Whether the real power number is bigger or smaller is inconsequential until you get an actual PM.

2015-04-28 3:30 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Race report is up. It's a bit wordy, you've been warned!

2015-04-28 3:47 PM
in reply to: ponderingfox

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Originally posted by ponderingfox

I often questioned my virtual power numbers when comparing them to others when I 1st started on trainer road. Turns out the numbers were correct, I was that bad. Ultimately though, there are far too many variables that come into play to compare to other power numbers, especially when using virtual power profiles. The main things are that the power curve is correct for your trainer and the set up remains as consistent as possible. Use your virtual ftp number as a reference point to set training zones and as a marker for fitness gains.

Saying all that, I found my powertap and virtual numbers for my old elite power fluid trainer comparable +/-5W, but, that may just have been a fluke.
2015-04-28 3:53 PM

User image

Seattle

I sold my mtb and got a CX bike instead.  The way that I was using the mtb, the cross bike made more sense.  Also, the cross bike is more compatible with my car (easier to haul).  I don't think that Kevin is interested in a Cx bike but never say never...

I am seriously thinking about selling my roadie and getting a Cx. But the MTB may fit the profile I am looking for completely. I am just not sure yet. I wish I just had one bike that did it all. But you know, a jack of all trades and...

2015-04-28 4:05 PM

User image

Veteran
East Texas
Ok I have decided that doing the Texas Hardest Half this weekend is a dumb decision so I have stepped down and will be doing the olympic instead. This should be fun anyway since I've never done an olympic Tri.

So now my taper week begins....or is it recover week?? or race week?? or transition week?? or who knows....but I'm racing again Sunday so here it goes!

2015-04-28 4:37 PM
in reply to: JJ-

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by JJ- Ok I have decided that doing the Texas Hardest Half this weekend is a dumb decision so I have stepped down and will be doing the olympic instead. This should be fun anyway since I've never done an olympic Tri. So now my taper week begins....or is it recover week?? or race week?? or transition week?? or who knows....but I'm racing again Sunday so here it goes!

Sounds like the Post-Race/Pre-Race/Preposterous Week to me!  Smart move to step down to the Oly.  That does seem like a bit much to try, IMO.  On the other hand, it'll be over so quickly you won't know what to do with yourself.  Maybe you should do it twice to split the difference between the Oly and a HIM.

2015-04-29 8:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

I am seriously thinking about selling my roadie and getting a Cx. But the MTB may fit the profile I am looking for completely. I am just not sure yet. I wish I just had one bike that did it all. But you know, a jack of all trades and...

If you don't road race (which I don't think you'd be interested in), the CX likely fits what you would want for road riding.  Now CX racing seems like something you'd be very interested in.

2015-04-29 9:06 AM
in reply to: 0

Master
Northern IL

Keep riding the bike for awhile and see what you end up doing. Tri bike and mountain bike have been fine for me. Tri bike has done anything I'd do on a road bike just fine. Have thought of CX for a little more toughness, but it seems to have a more narrow range of use where it'd be better than either of the bikes I'm using now. Maybe, but I'd definitely be looking at something that would could handle gravel sections if I got something. Going just a little off road once in awhile might be nice, like a CX course, but I'm not really into CX racing. More sections of roads could safely open up with a bike that could handle some of the MUP more easily.

The fat tire bikes have been interesting, but also know that newer mountain bikes are coming with more clearance if they don't already have it. Not necessarily for the 4" tires, but for 3". The fat tire has seemed more of a novelty to me as well, for my purposes at least. Others do indeed use them that way, but I just don't have the sand around and am not likely to use it in the snow more than a few times a year. My brother has done some winter riding and noted that when used on the roads they would need to be rather thoroughly cleaned off quite a bit to get all the grime and salts off. Not a problem when he was still in the bike store, but is a bit more now in the office. On trails probably wouldn't be as bad as that's more just frozen water, less corrosive stuff in there.

Edited by brigby1 2015-04-29 9:09 AM
2015-04-29 9:15 AM

User image

Simsbury, Connecticut

Sexy bike Chris!!

Adrienne - it'll be like getting a whole new bike! YAY!

Janyne - sounds like Kevin and I would get along great! I would LOVE to have an MTB in every wheel size! I think I'm too short for a 29er but I'd still love to try it.

I know it's only Wednesday but I'm daydreaming about blue skys and perfect temps for the weekend......aaahhh Sunday I'm going to try to take a spin in the Quassy half bike course. Everyone keeps saying it's "so hilly!" Meh, I'll be the judge of that!! (I'm sure I'll come back humbled and crying like a baby).

anyone want to join me? LOL
2015-04-29 9:16 AM

User image

Master
Raleigh, NC area

Originally posted by JJ- Ok I have decided that doing the Texas Hardest Half this weekend is a dumb decision so I have stepped down and will be doing the olympic instead. This should be fun anyway since I've never done an olympic Tri. So now my taper week begins....or is it recover week?? or race week?? or transition week?? or who knows....but I'm racing again Sunday so here it goes!

It's still a Train Once, Race Twice situation.  Woo hoo!

2015-04-29 10:32 AM

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
How far ahead do you guys plan your A race?

I'm guessing it has to be at least a year if you're going down the Iron Man endorsed race route.

I just wondered if I could tempt any of you over to tackle the IM Wales course in September 2016? Plenty of time to plan, and although I have no room at our house to put anyone up, I'd quite happily rent out a farm house/cottage that would accommodate 10-12 people for a fortnight.
Just food for thought if any of you had desires to visit the Motherland
Make a proper visit of it and go on to do the touristy thing - Stratford, London, Edingburgh etc.
Just food for thought.
I probably won't race Wales next year (depending on how I get on this year) but am willing to sherpa.
2015-04-29 10:38 AM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ridgeland, Mississippi

Usually when I hit off season mode, which for me is around October I'll evaluate what I want to target next year and start planning my training around that.  I don't know what my goals will be after this year other than riding lots. 

No IM for me for sure. 

2015-04-29 11:07 AM

User image

Seattle

Originally posted by Richardsdrr How far ahead do you guys plan your A race? I'm guessing it has to be at least a year if you're going down the Iron Man endorsed race route. I just wondered if I could tempt any of you over to tackle the IM Wales course in September 2016? Plenty of time to plan, and although I have no room at our house to put anyone up, I'd quite happily rent out a farm house/cottage that would accommodate 10-12 people for a fortnight. Just food for thought if any of you had desires to visit the Motherland Make a proper visit of it and go on to do the touristy thing - Stratford, London, Edingburgh etc. Just food for thought. I probably won't race Wales next year (depending on how I get on this year) but am willing to sherpa.

I don't typically go with all my eggs in one basket t in terms of an A race. I usually have a few important races in a year, perhaps one a season.  If it's a marathon, I need to be more mindful of when it is and what other things are going on. I like to come into the marathon with a solid base and 12-16 weeks to do marathon specific training. So I like to know about 6 months in advance. 

For shorter A races it doesn't take as much planning but I like to be sure to have a block of specificity. An example is right now my 'A' race is the Mountain Running National Championship. For that reason I have dedicated part of spring and most of summer to trail running because just road running would not provide adequate training. So it's like 3-4 months advance.

Too bad I'm not a triathlete or that Wales IM would be tempting! 

2015-04-29 11:25 AM

User image

Seattle

Woooo boy, just booked my one way seaplane flight for the PCT run-venture. It's gettin' real now! 

2015-04-29 12:22 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Sexy bike Chris!! Adrienne - it'll be like getting a whole new bike! YAY! Janyne - sounds like Kevin and I would get along great! I would LOVE to have an MTB in every wheel size! I think I'm too short for a 29er but I'd still love to try it. I know it's only Wednesday but I'm daydreaming about blue skys and perfect temps for the weekend......aaahhh Sunday I'm going to try to take a spin in the Quassy half bike course. Everyone keeps saying it's "so hilly!" Meh, I'll be the judge of that!! (I'm sure I'll come back humbled and crying like a baby). anyone want to join me? LOL

I'd join you if it were feasible, but I'll be busy in Lake Placid with a hockey tournament.  I did the Quassy Oly 4 years ago and it is a beautiful course.  Well, the run course was a bit of a bugger but at least it was shaded. 

2015-04-29 12:22 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Woooo boy, just booked my one way seaplane flight for the PCT run-venture. It's gettin' real now! 

AAAAAWWWWWWW YEAH!!

2015-04-29 12:23 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Originally posted by Richardsdrr How far ahead do you guys plan your A race? I'm guessing it has to be at least a year if you're going down the Iron Man endorsed race route. I just wondered if I could tempt any of you over to tackle the IM Wales course in September 2016? Plenty of time to plan, and although I have no room at our house to put anyone up, I'd quite happily rent out a farm house/cottage that would accommodate 10-12 people for a fortnight. Just food for thought if any of you had desires to visit the Motherland Make a proper visit of it and go on to do the touristy thing - Stratford, London, Edingburgh etc. Just food for thought. I probably won't race Wales next year (depending on how I get on this year) but am willing to sherpa.

I wish, but a full IM still scares the heck out of me!

2015-04-29 12:23 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

Stud!

2015-04-29 12:28 PM
in reply to: mtnbikerchk

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by mtnbikerchk

Sexy bike Chris!! Adrienne - it'll be like getting a whole new bike! YAY! Janyne - sounds like Kevin and I would get along great! I would LOVE to have an MTB in every wheel size! I think I'm too short for a 29er but I'd still love to try it. I know it's only Wednesday but I'm daydreaming about blue skys and perfect temps for the weekend......aaahhh Sunday I'm going to try to take a spin in the Quassy half bike course. Everyone keeps saying it's "so hilly!" Meh, I'll be the judge of that!! (I'm sure I'll come back humbled and crying like a baby). anyone want to join me? LOL

It is hilly, but the extent people have exclaimed this is a bit dramatic. You'll be working at times, but think it'll be fine if your mindset is ready for always going up or down something.

New Thread
CLOSED
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Manatee Mentors 2015.2 CLOSED (Poptarts? Pet pics?) Rss Feed  

of 107

RELATED POSTS

Ben's Mentor Group w/ Google Hangouts! ***CLOSED*** Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8

Started by bcagle25
Views: 15468 Posts: 182

2015-03-13 3:55 PM wannabefaster

Ryan Mac’s HIM Focus Group - CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26

Started by Ryan Mac
Views: 28169 Posts: 639

2015-06-15 3:22 PM Ryan Mac

TZCoaching tri getting started group! - CLOSED Pages: 1 2 3 4

Started by tzcoaching
Views: 11900 Posts: 98

2015-03-01 12:25 PM tzcoaching

Mad Manatee Mentors CLOSED (Poptart/pet pic bribes?) Pages: 1 ... 97 98 99 100

Started by IndoIronYanti
Views: 66535 Posts: 2498

2015-02-23 11:27 AM IndoIronYanti

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54958 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2015
author : Team BT
comments : 2
Are you new? Are you starting to train for your first race in 2015? Join a mentor group to get all of your questions answered.

date : January 29, 2013
author : Scott Tinley
comments : 0
There are races to prepare for and health to be found and a lot of adventure and release to be sought in the oceans of the world.
date : February 6, 2010
author : EndurancePlanet
Coming off of a tibial stress fracture in 2000, stevebradley made his way into triathlon. Now he has over 60 triathlons completed and is one of the most active mentor groups on BT.

date : July 15, 2009
author : EndurancePlanet
Not only is he a great athlete, he is a great mentor. I have been in his mentor group for the last two rounds and he inspires and encourages our entire group daily.
date : April 23, 2009
author : Team BT
comments : 1
The closed fist drill will ensure that you are pulling with your entire hand and forearm.

date : February 19, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
Find a mentor. Make a list of at least three people that you could approach for help, list your specific needs and then be courageous enough to begin asking.