General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OTC drugs during race? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2016-03-15 11:16 AM

Subject: OTC drugs during race?
I know most people have or do take medicine during races to curb the aches/pains that come with age and training. What I'm interested to know is what are you taking and how has it affected you during races/training?

I currently pop and advil now and again for slight arthritis in one of my feet. It does seem to affect me in my 1/2 marathons taking it that I'm aware of, but now my HIM is coming soon, and I haven't gone that distance during my training in one setting, so wondering what might steer me away from taking it.

Any advice would be great. I have until April 2nd to make the plan, but this Sunday is an OLY, so I could test something out if need be on a shorter period.

Thanks,

2016-03-15 11:45 AM
in reply to: dworth

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: OTC drugs during race?
Originally posted by dworth

I know most people have or do take medicine during races to curb the aches/pains that come with age and training. What I'm interested to know is what are you taking and how has it affected you during races/training?

I currently pop and advil now and again for slight arthritis in one of my feet. It does seem to affect me in my 1/2 marathons taking it that I'm aware of, but now my HIM is coming soon, and I haven't gone that distance during my training in one setting, so wondering what might steer me away from taking it.

Any advice would be great. I have until April 2nd to make the plan, but this Sunday is an OLY, so I could test something out if need be on a shorter period.

Thanks,

be careful

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16679974

"NSAIDs are commonly used by athletes competing in endurance events and are a risk factor for hyponatremia and altered renal function"
2016-03-15 12:39 PM
in reply to: marcag

interesting read. I guess I need to be looking for more all natural ways of treating these things.

thanks!
2016-03-15 1:07 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by dworth I know most people have or do take medicine during races to curb the aches/pains that come with age and training. What I'm interested to know is what are you taking and how has it affected you during races/training?

Most people I know don't take anything during a race.

In my case specifically, I take Coumadin/Warfarin because I have a mechanical heart valve.  Because of possible interactions, I can't take ibuprofen and only limited amounts of acetaminophen.   I'm 62.  Rest, stretching and active recovery seem to work well for me to keep the aches & pains at bay.

Mark  

2016-03-15 1:25 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

In addition to the concerns shared by Marc regarding the use of NSAID's by endurance athletes, I generally discourage the use of any pain medication during training or racing.  Pain is our body telling us that we're damaging it.  Masking that with pain medication can result in pushing through when we should back off, making an injury worse.

2016-03-15 1:31 PM
in reply to: TriMyBest

Master
Northern IL

Most people I know don't take any such medications during a race either. And actually I don't know anyone in person who does. Only a very few at most over message boards.

2016-03-15 1:33 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by TriMyBest

In addition to the concerns shared by Marc regarding the use of NSAID's by endurance athletes, I generally discourage the use of any pain medication during training or racing.  Pain is our body telling us that we're damaging it.  Masking that with pain medication can result in pushing through when we should back off, making an injury worse.

x2 This is the main reason that I never take any pain medication during training or racing. Sometimes it's the slightest twinge that just doesn't feel right that tells you to stop, chill out or change position or form, but if you don't feel it, you can really do damage. The only time I will take Advil is if I have a lot of muscle soreness when going to bed so that I can sleep, and also, by reducing inflammation overnight, I find it helps quicken recovery. But that is a very every-once-in-a-while occurrence.
2016-03-15 1:53 PM

User image

I used to have bad knee pain from running, thought it was arthritis.  About two years into triathlon I started taking aspirin regularly for the pain.   After about 12 months of that I thought I had a bad recurring stomach virus, over a 3 week period.   I was loosing about a pound a day because I couldn't eat or drink much.   Ended up in the ER and after an ultra sound found out I had a sizable ulcer.  Had to go to a GI doc for surgery to have it removed.  Told me to stop taking aspirin.

2016-03-15 3:00 PM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Regular
Clermont, Florida
Originally posted by 3mar

x2 This is the main reason that I never take any pain medication during training or racing. Sometimes it's the slightest twinge that just doesn't feel right that tells you to stop, chill out or change position or form, but if you don't feel it, you can really do damage. The only time I will take Advil is if I have a lot of muscle soreness when going to bed so that I can sleep, and also, by reducing inflammation overnight, I find it helps quicken recovery. But that is a very every-once-in-a-while occurrence.

This is excellent advice, but I think there are some exceptions to the rule. The risk of SIADH has been well publicized (I remember a time whin ibuprofen was handed out at the aid stations during ultra distance races) , and pain is indeed a sign of injury/damage. But there are some with chronic conditions (arthritis in particular) who could not participate at all without a little anti-inflammatory/pain relief. Yes I know the risks, yes I know I'm destroying what's left of my knees, and yes I was told (5 years ago) that I need knee replacements. But once they replace my knees I will no longer be allowed to run, so that's not happening. I take ibuprofen 800 every morning and sometimes twice a day. I take it on training days and racing days and know how it affects me. I also accept I am now a participant (I love this sport) and not a competitor.

I think the answer is really dependent on the OP's situation/health needs, but the my advice would be if you are going to take meds, make sure they are USADA approved and make sure you use them during training and racing and are not trying something new on race day.
2016-03-15 3:26 PM
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

This is solid advice. My plus one experience is with decongestants not pain reliever but I hardly ever take medicines and shouldn't have taken them and raced. Bad bad day.
2016-03-15 5:52 PM

User image

Champion
MA

When training and racing IMs my last two years of tri racing, I took Alleve daily. I would come off it about 2 weeks before my IM and then take it race day. Now I'm on prescription anti inflammatory. I can no longer run and walking to keep up with my family out and about is a challenge.

Your body tells you how it is feeling, and mine has said no more. I play soccer now and hope to start riding for fun. I miss the joy and challenge of triathlons but my knee is unable to the task any longer.

2016-03-15 6:08 PM

User image

Brooklyn, New York

interesting read. I guess I need to be looking for more all natural ways of treating these things.

thanks!

* Turmeric and Ginger OFTEN
* Fish Oil if you don't eat oily fish often, and OFTEN
2016-03-15 8:51 PM

Great replies everyone.

Thank you for the feedback!
2016-03-16 7:35 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I take two alleve, every day. I'm 51 (USAT 52). My exercise physiologist said I have no kidney issues and told me to have at it.

2016-03-16 7:50 AM
in reply to: miamiamy

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
I guess not really related to the OP's question (maybe indirectly) but curious what issues you had with the decongestants. I have had a couple of races where I had to use them the night before and even the morning of the race (as congestion due to allergies or a cold can trigger asthma for me, the night before and during the race itself) and have had some issues (nausea, uncharacteristic difficulties with the heat despite staying hydrated) that I wasn't sure to attribute to the original illness or the decongestant. Just something to keep in mind if race conditions will be extremely hot/humid--some meds do seem to affect heat tolerance and/or can act as diuretics, so you may need to change your fluid intake, modify pace, etc. (or just avoid the meds if they're not absolutely necessary).
2016-03-16 8:20 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hot Runner

I guess not really related to the OP's question (maybe indirectly) but curious what issues you had with the decongestants. I have had a couple of races where I had to use them the night before and even the morning of the race (as congestion due to allergies or a cold can trigger asthma for me, the night before and during the race itself) and have had some issues (nausea, uncharacteristic difficulties with the heat despite staying hydrated) that I wasn't sure to attribute to the original illness or the decongestant. Just something to keep in mind if race conditions will be extremely hot/humid--some meds do seem to affect heat tolerance and/or can act as diuretics, so you may need to change your fluid intake, modify pace, etc. (or just avoid the meds if they're not absolutely necessary).

Also double check that they are not banned for in competition use.

For example something as silly as Advil Cold and Sinus or Allegra in certain doses is not permitted

2016-03-16 9:28 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by dworth I know most people have or do take medicine during races to curb the aches/pains that come with age and training. What I'm interested to know is what are you taking and how has it affected you during races/training? I currently pop and advil now and again for slight arthritis in one of my feet. It does seem to affect me in my 1/2 marathons taking it that I'm aware of, but now my HIM is coming soon, and I haven't gone that distance during my training in one setting, so wondering what might steer me away from taking it. Any advice would be great. I have until April 2nd to make the plan, but this Sunday is an OLY, so I could test something out if need be on a shorter period. Thanks,

I don't take medicine during races.  

In fact I was in car wreck last July that landed me in the ER room where I was unconscious part of the time and half my family thought I was dead.  I suffered a severe concussion so I don't remember any of the accident and only a few minutes of the emergency room (ER). One of the few things I remember in the ER is a nurse asking me if she could get me anything for the pain.  

The first thought that went through my head is that Marathons hurt worse than this and I do them for recreation so why would I need anything for the pain.  

My second though was of the Demerol that I was given in an ER room when I dislocated my elbow at a Wrestling tournament when I was in high school.  They had put me on Morphine when I had knee surgery from another wrestling injury a year earlier.  The pain was just about as bad with the morphine as without and the morphine made me groggy so I stopped taking it and just learned to cope with the pain knowing that it was all for my own good.  The Demerol that I got in the ER room with my separated elbow however was a different experience from the Morphine.  It made me happy, very happy, and the pain subsided.

After weighing my pain tolerance and how happy Demerol makes me feel I told the nurse that although Demerol is great that I really didn't want to take anything for the pain.  She insisted that she could get me Demerol, but I declined to take anything for the pain.  I had trained my body to cope with pain and was able to handle things better without a pain killer than being doped with a drug.  

So...although we are in a drug driven society that superscribes 10 times as many drugs today as was done 25 years ago and that now has more Walgreen, CVS, and other drugstores in many areas than they do gas stations or fast food restaurants, I feel that we are better off to NOT medicate our self with OTC drugs.  If we mask the pain without learning to deal with it we could be missing opportunities to change our poor form to a better form that not only prevents over use and injury but also could make us more efficient.  

OTC drugs also could have unintended side effects that could outweigh their benefits. My high school men's cross country team had won 7 consecutive 5A state championships prior to my first year on the team.  The coach told use of one team that did NOT win the state title.  They had been ranked #1 in the state all year and were untouchable, but the night before the state meet one of the guys on the team convinced the rest of the team to take a pain killer thinking it would help them all run faster.  It backfired on them.  I am not a doctor and don't know know how drugs works on the body or why taking a pain killer hurt their performance, but our coach used this example to warn us to never try anything new on race day because that year a team that should have been state champions had there worst race of the year at the state meet and lost the title.  So for me...no drugs.  I don't even take caffeine. 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-03-16 9:34 AM
2016-03-16 10:56 AM
in reply to: exnavydoc

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by exnavydoc
Originally posted by 3mar

This is excellent advice, but I think there are some exceptions to the rule. The risk of SIADH has been well publicized (I remember a time whin ibuprofen was handed out at the aid stations during ultra distance races) , and pain is indeed a sign of injury/damage. But there are some with chronic conditions (arthritis in particular) who could not participate at all without a little anti-inflammatory/pain relief. Yes I know the risks, yes I know I'm destroying what's left of my knees, and yes I was told (5 years ago) that I need knee replacements. But once they replace my knees I will no longer be allowed to run, so that's not happening. I take ibuprofen 800 every morning and sometimes twice a day. I take it on training days and racing days and know how it affects me. I also accept I am now a participant (I love this sport) and not a competitor. I think the answer is really dependent on the OP's situation/health needs, but the my advice would be if you are going to take meds, make sure they are USADA approved and make sure you use them during training and racing and are not trying something new on race day.

Yep, there are always exceptions.  That's why I said "generally discourage" rather than make a blanket statement that they should never be used.

There are rarely definitive answers to health, fitness, and athletic questions.  My signature line is meant as a reminder of that.

2016-03-16 11:47 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, TX
I participated in the Rocky Raccoon 100 (five 20-mile laps) a few years ago. was running a lot at the time and had spent quite a few months preparing for the event. The day of the race I decided it would be a great idea to take one 800-mg Naproxin (Alieve) tablet to keep swelling / inflammation under control from the get-go. I had pacing and nutrition plans in place, and felt I was well prepared.

I started the race and everything pretty much went per plan. I was eating and drinking at aid stations, and draining my 22-oz bottle between stations. Good first lap and good second lap. I realized towards the end of lap 2 that I had not peed all day, so I found a good looking tree and tried to make something happen. All I could produce was about a tablespoon of "tea" colored fluid. I finished the lap and went out for Lap 3. Still never felt any urge to pee, but decided to give it another try before it got dark. This time I produced about the same quantity, but color changed from "tea" to "red wine", and it burned. At the end of Lap 3 I mentioned this to the race director, who took me right over to the med staff. They encouraged me to drop out and head into the ER for evaluation. It sounds stupid, but that's not an easy decision to make when you been training for something so long and are still feeling good. Anyway, I dropped as they suggested at the 60-mile point, and ended up spending the next three days in the hospital with a moderate case of Rhabdomyolosis. My CK levels were not that severe and I didn't end up with any permanent liver or kidney damage, but that could have easily happened if I finished the race.

NSAIDS do not necessarily cause Rhabdo, but they do increase the risk during endurance events. You don't hear about Rhabdo much in the IM community, but it certainly afflicts a number of ultra runners every year.......both front and back of the pack runners. The medical advice I got was that it's a "fluke" thing. There are risk factors that increase your likelihood, but no one things that causes it. Having had this case, they said I was no more or less likely to have another problem in the future.......just kind of one of those things.

I did two 50-mile runs a few months later to make sure everything was okay, and had no problems during either of those. Bottom line....I don't know if the decision to take the Alieve was what ended me up in the hospital, but I know it put me at increased risk. I don't use it before or during training or races any more.
2016-03-16 11:58 AM
in reply to: g_shotts

That's definitely an extreme case I would guess. I haven't heard or seen anything like that.

I would like to add, that my original post states does affect me, but should have read "does NOT" affect me.

2016-03-17 3:40 AM

User image

"red wine pee" crikey!! I'd have freaked out big time.

Has anyone any experience using sporty legs? (Calcium-136mg, Magnesium-68mg, Vitamin D-68IU, and Lactate-1115 mg)

2016-03-17 7:10 AM

User image

Exton, PA

That's definitely an extreme case I would guess. I haven't heard or seen anything like that.

I would like to add, that my original post states does affect me, but should have read "does NOT" affect me.

Not that extreme. A couple years ago a friend mine had a daughter on a college soccer team, many of them took Advil very regular. They saw it as a precaution so they didn't have issues. 4 of them spent time in the hospital with kidney issues half way through the season.

2016-03-17 7:40 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

That is not extreme.It is why I bolded "altered renal function" in my first reply to you.

You talked about HIM. In warm conditions that is putting a large amount of stress on your body.
Do your research, this is not something to take lightly.

Taking an Advil before a 1hr workout is very different than taking them during a 5 or 6 hour race in potentially extreme conditions
2016-03-17 10:45 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by dworth That's definitely an extreme case I would guess. I haven't heard or seen anything like that. I would like to add, that my original post states does affect me, but should have read "does NOT" affect me.
That is not extreme.It is why I bolded "altered renal function" in my first reply to you. You talked about HIM. In warm conditions that is putting a large amount of stress on your body. Do your research, this is not something to take lightly. Taking an Advil before a 1hr workout is very different than taking them during a 5 or 6 hour race in potentially extreme conditions

I'm just quoting this so the readers can see it a second time.  It's a serious issue not to be messed with.

2016-03-17 11:34 AM
in reply to: #5172107

User image

The best thing for you to take is called D3. It's a steroid you can find online and you will see significant gains from it. You're not going to win your age group anyway so no fear of being tested.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » OTC drugs during race? Rss Feed  

of 3

RELATED POSTS

OTC Orthotic Inserts in running shoes

Started by Swimbikeron
Views: 2197 Posts: 7

2013-03-27 8:58 AM Jtiger

Race nutrition (night before/day of/during race)

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 1104 Posts: 11

2012-06-22 3:16 PM rjrankin83

training and racing without enough sleep / sleeping during races

Started by BigDH
Views: 1503 Posts: 7

2012-04-28 6:42 PM billgeist

Pre-Race and During the race nutrition

Started by bmjehle
Views: 2275 Posts: 9

2010-08-11 3:49 PM Nipper

Not racing during a race

Started by mnewton
Views: 1001 Posts: 10

2006-02-01 10:24 AM Nakima
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 13, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 2
What triathletes can learn from a new world record in the 1500 meters

date : July 18, 2011
author : garyhallsr
comments : 5
World-record swimmer gives advice on correct breathing technique
date : February 16, 2011
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 2
Some athletes call it runners' trots; others call it diarrhea. Whatever the name, few athletes openly discuss the topic yet many secretly suffer. Here’s some information about this stinky topic that m

date : January 20, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
Feeling bloated during training and racing is a common concern with endurance sports like triathlon. More salt or more water? Read more!
date : March 14, 2010
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Part two covers protein after workouts, caffeine usage during racing, the reason for muscle fatigue and general nutrition guidelines.

date : April 5, 2008
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on training for a 5k open water swim, Ironman race swim placement, hammering on the swim during a race, TI swimming, importance of kick sets and rotation.
date : July 11, 2007
Recent studies have demonstrated that moderate to mild levels of caffeine (less than 300mg) do not promote dehydration during exercise.

date : May 16, 2005
comments : 0
Could these fevers be related to my training and increased fatigue? Is there anything I can do to help prevent future occurrences? Or could it just be allergies combined with increased fatigue?