of 11

2016-04-12 8:56 AM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: % of FTP for a Sprint
Originally posted by CycloneVM

Originally posted by Jason N

Do you follow the power targets on your workouts religiously...even if you have more in the tank?  Agree with Marc...nothing in these files indicates that your FTP has gone up.  Usually you will see an increase in power as the reps go on if your FTP is underestimated.

Hang on...are you not supposed to stick to the power targets as closely as you can? I had assumed that these power workouts were written that way - hit X target in each workout and see benefits. Some workouts end up being harder than others, but taken together they present the framework for better fitness. While I'm certain this is true, have I been incorrect in the power target assumption and should be doing each of these intervals with a "greater than" sign in front of the targets?

If that's the case, why even have targets to begin with? You could write the entire workout as "go hard, then go easy, then go hard again" and just change the durations.

Last, how would this apply to one of the "Day 2" workouts in the JorgeM plan, which step between three or four target power numbers (typically something like 95/90/85/80 and then back up) for the duration of the workout?

You guys have a lot of useful information, but are sometimes confusing in its presentation

You are right that you should follow the prescribed efforts. The goal isn't to make you puke and fall off the bike. But there are workouts that you know will be taxing and can use to get a good idea of where you are. I very specifically said "put everything you have in the last one".

If the presentation is confusing, sometimes just asking the questions, as you did makes it better for everyone.

2016-04-12 9:07 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain
Running intervals are the same.  If it says do your 400's at :65 with 1 minutes rest, that doesn't mean do some of them at :58 and be happy that you "pushed it". 

Train smart.

Tell me, how many people do you know running their 400m intervals on :65 ? :-)

2016-04-12 9:12 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

Originally posted by marcag
Originally posted by Left Brain Running intervals are the same.  If it says do your 400's at :65 with 1 minutes rest, that doesn't mean do some of them at :58 and be happy that you "pushed it". 

Train smart.

All 3 of the kids I work with during track season on speed days.  (I don't make the workouts, I run them for a coach who is off site)  They are all sub 4:20 milers working toward 4 minutes.

You know my point......you do them at the prescribed effort, it doesn't matter what the interval is.  I'll walk them off the track if they want to play "lets see how fast I am today".  There is never any "put all you have into this last one"....but I understand that cycling and running are not the same in that regard.  I don't have any problem with that with cycling.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-04-12 9:15 AM
2016-04-12 9:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by Left Brain Running intervals are the same.  If it says do your 400's at :65 with 1 minutes rest, that doesn't mean do some of them at :58 and be happy that you "pushed it". 

Train smart.

All 3 of the kids I work with during track season on speed days.  (I don't make the workouts, I run them for a coach who is off site)  They are all sub 4:20 milers working toward 4 minutes.

You know my point......you do them at the prescribed effort, it doesn't matter what the interval is.  I'll walk them off the track if they want to play "lets see how fast I am today".

I get what you mean, but FYI

65s for 400m is the prescribed Jack Daniel's 400m repeat pace for a 28m:36 10km runner or 3:56 miler
58s is off the chart.

7s on a 400 is 17.5s on a km and probably crosses zones for most runners at the high end
So yes, there is wiggle room within zones, but it's surprising how narrow it actually is. There isn't 7s on 400m for most of us if we are doing hard intervals

I think we agree....wow.....I just realize what I said :-)

Edited by marcag 2016-04-12 9:32 AM
2016-04-12 9:33 AM

User image

Pro

Well that's all great.....they can do 65's X  6 with no problem (one of them has a 4:09 mile) , but they can't run 3:56 for a mile, yet.  Jr. ran an open 400 in 49.2 at his last meet.....first time trying... and has a 1:53 800.....his mile time does not add up yet.  As the coach says......they can run faster miles then they've ran......but they have to be taught that they can.  They fall off even more at 5 and 10K.  They're young and don't know anything about Jack Daniels, or any other bourbon.

No offense, but I'm going to take this guys word based on who he has trained.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-04-12 9:35 AM
2016-04-12 9:53 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by 3mar
Originally posted by Jet Black

Do you follow the power targets on your workouts religiously...even if you have more in the tank?  Agree with Marc...nothing in these files indicates that your FTP has gone up.  Usually you will see an increase in power as the reps go on if your FTP is underestimated.

I use my power targets as minimums. So whatever if my target is 230, I will be 230+ the entire time. I normally end up about 5 watts higher than target for any given interval. To marc's point; exactly, they were hard, but certainly not that hard.
Do 6x4@105% with 45sec rest and report back. You'll get a good workout and you'll know which way to go. Put everything you have into the last one.
Sounds good. I'll do that on Wednesday.
What is your max HR?
The highest I've seen on the bike is 165. That was at the end of my last FTP test. I got into the 170's running during a vo2 Max test.

you need to do some group rides with some racers, that will get your heartrate higher

This is where I was going with this, but your max even running is a lot lower than mine so I'm not sure this will be true. I'm guessing that you don't know how to suffer on the bike yet. You should hit that 165 at minimum on your 2:30 intervals, but you're not even hitting 160 on the rides you posted.

And yes, get yourself a road bike and come join us on club rides. You'll be shocked at what your HR hits.

2016-04-12 9:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Thanks for the clarification, folks. I guess I misread the intent of Jason's post about having some left in the tank, plus most pure bike folks are so geared up on suffering (see what I did there?) that you just never know if you are suffering the proper amount

Edited by CycloneVM 2016-04-12 9:58 AM
2016-04-12 10:16 AM
in reply to: Jet Black

User image

Katy, Texas

And yes, get yourself a road bike and come join us on club rides. You'll be shocked at what your HR hits.

If I buy a road bike, I'll be suffering for sure...but it will be at the hands of my wife.
2016-04-12 11:19 AM
in reply to: CycloneVM

User image

Originally posted by CycloneVM Thanks for the clarification, folks. I guess I misread the intent of Jason's post about having some left in the tank, plus most pure bike folks are so geared up on suffering (see what I did there?) that you just never know if you are suffering the proper amount

Yes, sticking to the plan is the idea, but I was referencing how you should know if you are seeing a bump in FTP based on workouts and not specifically an all out test.  Having some left in the tank should have been phrased more like..."you're not as gassed as you normally are with this workout."  Often times when I'm seeing a bump in FTP, usually when coming out of off season, I know how hard a 5x5' workout is supposed to be.  So if my target is say X watts and it feels too easy, I'll bump it up to X+10 watts and see how that goes...or you'll see power rising over each 5' interval instead of a flat line.  It's not to say that I'm trying to give an all out effort when I shouldn't be...just trying to align my RPE properly.  Marc and I didn't see any of those type of indicators in the OPs last two workout files...but it's possible he was sticking closely to the targets rather than adjusting for RPE.  But he's new to power...so these kind of on the fly tweaks comes with experience.  

2016-04-12 11:36 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

I use my power targets as minimums. So whatever if my target is 230, I will be 230+ the entire time. I normally end up about 5 watts higher than target for any given interval. To marc's point; exactly, they were hard, but certainly not that hard.
Do 6x4@105% with 45sec rest and report back. You'll get a good workout and you'll know which way to go. Put everything you have into the last one.
What is your max HR?
The highest I've seen on the bike is 165. That was at the end of my last FTP test. I got into the 170's running during a vo2 Max test.

you need to do some group rides with some racers, that will get your heartrate higher

This is where I was going with this, but your max even running is a lot lower than mine so I'm not sure this will be true. I'm guessing that you don't know how to suffer on the bike yet. You should hit that 165 at minimum on your 2:30 intervals, but you're not even hitting 160 on the rides you posted. And yes, get yourself a road bike and come join us on club rides. You'll be shocked at what your HR hits.
Definitely be careful stating stuff like this on a beginner site.  Individual HR is a bell curve not everyone achieves the same HR levels, but doesn't mean they are slower.  My 20' LTHR avg is around 166, once I get around 170 I don't have very long to go!  My run LT is 10bpm higher.  I know someone that only gets a 20' average in the mid 150's and he can crankout a 350w FTP and often places in bike races. I use to train with a guy that had a 20bpm difference between a bike and run LT test 180/160. 

2016-04-12 12:07 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Donto

What is your max HR?

This is where I was going with this, but your max even running is a lot lower than mine so I'm not sure this will be true. I'm guessing that you don't know how to suffer on the bike yet. You should hit that 165 at minimum on your 2:30 intervals, but you're not even hitting 160 on the rides you posted. And yes, get yourself a road bike and come join us on club rides. You'll be shocked at what your HR hits.
Definitely be careful stating stuff like this on a beginner site.  Individual HR is a bell curve not everyone achieves the same HR levels, but doesn't mean they are slower.  My 20' LTHR avg is around 166, once I get around 170 I don't have very long to go!  My run LT is 10bpm higher.  I know someone that only gets a 20' average in the mid 150's and he can crankout a 350w FTP and often places in bike races. I use to train with a guy that had a 20bpm difference between a bike and run LT test 180/160. 

Keep in mind that the statement was not made in absolute terms, but in reference to an earlier post in the quote. It's supposed to be read in context with the previously posted information.

ETA: The 165 comes from 2 posts up and was stated to be in an FTP test, so 20' long. An earlier linked workout involving 2:30 intervals did not hit 160 in any of them. That's a bit low in the context of hitting 165 in the 20' test seeing how the 2:30 intervals are set up for VO2 max emphasis. I think it's still in the learning curve of establishing FTP and learning the workouts by power, but if Sean wants to talk smack before their next ride together I won't stand in the way.

Edited by brigby1 2016-04-12 12:32 PM

2016-04-12 1:15 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Donto

What is your max HR?

Keep in mind that the statement was not made in absolute terms, but in reference to an earlier post in the quote. It's supposed to be read in context with the previously posted information.

ETA: The 165 comes from 2 posts up and was stated to be in an FTP test, so 20' long. An earlier linked workout involving 2:30 intervals did not hit 160 in any of them. That's a bit low in the context of hitting 165 in the 20' test seeing how the 2:30 intervals are set up for VO2 max emphasis. I think it's still in the learning curve of establishing FTP and learning the workouts by power, but if Sean wants to talk smack before their next ride together I won't stand in the way.

Thanks for the context Ben. And I wasn't talking smack lol. Just giving an assessment from my personal experiences. It took me a while to learn to suffer on the bike, and group rides is definitely what helped me the most.
2016-04-13 8:33 AM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Katy, Texas

I use my power targets as minimums. So whatever if my target is 230, I will be 230+ the entire time. I normally end up about 5 watts higher than target for any given interval.

To marc's point; exactly, they were hard, but certainly not that hard.

I did the workout this morning. See below. That was pretty fun actually.

My HRM has been acting quite wonky lately and was WAY off during my warm up so I just took it off so it wouldn't be a distraction. So no HR data unfortunately.

Unlike before, I stuck to the prescribed workout and did my best to keep the first 5 intervals right at 255, then let loose on the last one. The first five were challenging but very manageable. I gave it all I had on the last one which averaged 281.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1124175684

(Capture.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Capture.JPG (68KB - 5 downloads)
2016-04-13 10:13 AM

User image

Oakville

I did the workout this morning. See below. That was pretty fun actually. My HRM has been acting quite wonky lately and was WAY off during my warm up so I just took it off so it wouldn't be a distraction. So no HR data unfortunately. Unlike before, I stuck to the prescribed workout and did my best to keep the first 5 intervals right at 255, then let loose on the last one. The first five were challenging but very manageable. I gave it all I had on the last one which averaged 281. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1124175684

Did you do the entire workout in aero?

I tried this workout (in aero) a few months ago and found it to be challenging but not soul sucking.  I also ended up pushing the 6th interval.

A few weeks later I did a 5 minute and 20 minute test which confirmed that my CP60 was low by about 15 watts.

Edited by Scott71 2016-04-13 10:13 AM
2016-04-13 10:24 AM
in reply to: Scott71

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by Scott71

I did the workout this morning. See below. That was pretty fun actually. My HRM has been acting quite wonky lately and was WAY off during my warm up so I just took it off so it wouldn't be a distraction. So no HR data unfortunately. Unlike before, I stuck to the prescribed workout and did my best to keep the first 5 intervals right at 255, then let loose on the last one. The first five were challenging but very manageable. I gave it all I had on the last one which averaged 281. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1124175684

Did you do the entire workout in aero?

I tried this workout (in aero) a few months ago and found it to be challenging but not soul sucking.  I also ended up pushing the 6th interval.

A few weeks later I did a 5 minute and 20 minute test which confirmed that my CP60 was low by about 15 watts.

I'm pretty religious about staying in aero during intervals. During breaks I will pop up now and again. For the most part I'm more comfortable in aero than out. I also can't push as much power out of aero for some reason. If I sit up my power immediately drops.
2016-04-13 10:44 AM
in reply to: 3mar

User image

Katy, Texas
Nice work!

2016-04-13 10:52 AM
in reply to: #5174046

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Why is it you don't want to test again due to a race in May? You've improved based on that last "fun" workout. I'd suggest taking a 2-3 day recovery and do another 20' test and see what you can produce and get more accurate numbers. "Testing is training" so just sub for a threshold day.

Hmm...then go fun do a 10 min brick and see how that feels.
2016-04-13 11:54 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

User image

Katy, Texas
Originally posted by AdventureBear

Why is it you don't want to test again due to a race in May? You've improved based on that last "fun" workout. I'd suggest taking a 2-3 day recovery and do another 20' test and see what you can produce and get more accurate numbers. "Testing is training" so just sub for a threshold day.

Is "because I don't want to" a legitimate reason? Ugh...those tests are terrible, but I see your point.
2016-04-13 11:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Is "because I don't want to" a legitimate reason? Ugh...those tests are terrible, but I see your point.

Are we playing guess the new number of the 20min test?
2016-04-13 12:05 PM
in reply to: marcag

User image

Katy, Texas

Not yet; I'm still in denial...
2016-04-13 12:09 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Go do it outside. It'll be more enjoyable and you'll probably put out more power. I've got the perfect 20' section of road for you that has no stops right by your house.

2016-04-13 12:15 PM

User image

Katy, Texas

Go do it outside. It'll be more enjoyable and you'll probably put out more power. I've got the perfect 20' section of road for you that has no stops right by your house.

You'll have to let me know where. That's why I have never done it outside, I couldn't find a stretch of road with no stops for 20 minutes.
2016-04-13 12:26 PM

User image

Katy, Texas
Just sent you the strava segment
2016-04-13 12:32 PM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by Jet Black Just sent you the strava segment

In other words: It Is On

2016-04-13 12:37 PM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by Jet Black Just sent you the strava segment

In other words: It Is On

So my projection was 257w for the 20' test. How much should we add for outdoors ?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » % of FTP for a Sprint Rss Feed  

of 11

RELATED POSTS

Mean Maximal Power vs CP vs FTP

Started by phatknot
Views: 9486 Posts: 18

2010-03-14 4:53 PM Plissken74

First good FTP test of the year

Started by newbz
Views: 1985 Posts: 10

2009-03-03 10:05 PM newbz

FTP bike test

Started by Plissken74
Views: 6550 Posts: 13

2009-01-15 1:08 PM JorgeM

HUGE difference in FTP outdoors vs indoors Pages: 1 2

Started by TriToy
Views: 3514 Posts: 32

2008-11-07 4:49 AM lrobb

FTP test on road or trainer

Started by Marvarnett
Views: 1975 Posts: 17

2008-09-24 11:25 AM Tri Take Me Away
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 20, 2009
author : jasongootman
comments : 0
In this second part, we discuss indoor, outdoor and ramp functional threshold tests to determine your power training zones. Presented by Tri-Hard coaching and Fit Werx.

date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.
date : July 29, 2008
author : Coach AJ
comments : 1
I'm not quite half way into my IM training. I just raced a sprint and on Monday I woke up and felt like I'd been drugged! Not sore, just incredibly fatigued.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!
date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 1
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.