Other Resources The Political Joe » The press and the new administration Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2017-01-25 10:37 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

User image

Pro
Tejas
Subject: RE: The press and the new administration
Let's get scientists working on solutions rather than more research on climate change. Since the consensus is unanimous, why do they need more research dollars to prove it some more? Find viable solutions to the problem instead of pointing fingers at big oil. It's time for some problem solving, not more whining.

2017-01-25 10:48 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Originally posted by mdg2003 Let's get scientists working on solutions rather than more research on climate change. Since the consensus is unanimous, why do they need more research dollars to prove it some more? Find viable solutions to the problem instead of pointing fingers at big oil. It's time for some problem solving, not more whining.

They ARE researching solutions. They're researching effective technologies to capture CO2 or reduce CO2 emissions, because current controls are very expensive. And all of those grants and funding just went poof, overnight. Being on the cutting edge of this and renewable energy would position the US well into the future, cutting research hurts us in the long run. 

I also don't really get why everyone seems to think the EPA is only in the climate control business. They do everything from ensure that we are drinking clean water, to making sure cars and other industries are not polluting. My state released a statement last night that they're trying to get to the bottom of this baffling order because it is affecting the state department of health's ability to do their every day operations insuring clean water. I'm horrified that our president doesn't seem to be able to grasp the complexity of the organization, and seems to be saying, "eh, climate change, shut it down!"

Edited by Stacers 2017-01-25 10:54 AM
2017-01-25 11:05 AM
in reply to: #5211005

New user
I have gone back and forth regarding 'climate change. ' I have read and read and still don't know what the truth is. I am starting to believe that climate change is real, but not that man is causing it. Possibly contributing to it, but in no significant way. I am, in all honesty, willing to learn, and have young children that i want to teach the 'truth.'
2017-01-25 11:44 AM
in reply to: goforit

Master
, California

Originally posted by goforit I have gone back and forth regarding 'climate change. ' I have read and read and still don't know what the truth is. I am starting to believe that climate change is real, but not that man is causing it. Possibly contributing to it, but in no significant way. I am, in all honesty, willing to learn, and have young children that i want to teach the 'truth.'

I'll see if I can dig it up, but there is satellite imagery at different times of year based on the agricultural harvest cycle which is mostly across the bread belt in North America and Europe.  The CO2 swings are immediately obvious to a glance.  If you want a good visual example that man can / does have an effect on his environment in a global fashion, that is one.

But if you really want the details you have to do the reading like I mentioned in my previous post.

2017-01-25 12:17 PM
in reply to: spudone

Master
, California

The EPA is not all about climate change

A good thing to keep in mind.  All you need to do is take a look at the air quality in Beijing to better appreciate what we have and should strive to keep here in North America.

2017-01-25 12:25 PM
in reply to: goforit

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by goforit

I have gone back and forth regarding 'climate change. ' I have read and read and still don't know what the truth is. I am starting to believe that climate change is real, but not that man is causing it. Possibly contributing to it, but in no significant way. I am, in all honesty, willing to learn, and have young children that i want to teach the 'truth.'

I am of the same mind. I do think the climate might be changing.....but that, by definition, is what climates do.

Correlation does NOT equal causation. IOW, you can trace climate change to the start of the industrial revolution....but that does not mean the industrial revolution caused it. There was a little ice age in the 1300s I believe and there was no industrial revolution pollution back then.

Manmade or not, I don't see anyway to get 7.5 billion people to change their polluting ways. You will not deny a billion + Chinese their industrial revolution. And you won't get soccer moms from driving their bigas, gas-guzzling SUVs. All you will do is deepen the rift between the haves and the have-nots. The rich will pay to pollute because they can afford it.

But even if you could get 7.5 billion people to reduce COs output....world population is still increasing and before we know it there will be 10 billion people generating CO2.

My suggestion is we figure out how we as a society can live in a warmer climate.....maybe make floating cities? Or develop machines to scrub CO2 from the atmosphere.

2017-01-25 12:42 PM

User image

Pro

As I have said before....I don't worry about the Earth, it will be just fine.  Humans, who inhabit the top rung of life on Earth now, have a bleak future here.  The Earth's future is the same as it ever was.  Man will not change that.  IMO, It is the absolute height of human arrogance to think otherwise.

Edited by Left Brain 2017-01-25 12:55 PM
2017-01-25 1:26 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Left Brain

As I have said before....I don't worry about the Earth, it will be just fine.  Humans, who inhabit the top rung of life on Earth now, have a bleak future here.  The Earth's future is the same as it ever was.  Man will not change that.  IMO, It is the absolute height of human arrogance to think otherwise.

So here is a thought....maybe we are not the first cycle? Maybe every billion years or so the earth swallows itself up, turns everything back to it's elemental state and starts over?
2017-01-25 1:28 PM

User image

Expert
Floriduh
You guys are hitting the nail on the head. The greenhouse effects of increased CO2 emissions stemming from burning more carbon-based fuels is scientific dogma, as well established as Darwin's theory of evolution. Period, read the peer-reviewed literature. And while it is true that associations do not prove causation, they most certainly do not refute it. The question is not whether the global climate change is an effect of burning fossil fuels, but what policies do we wish to combat it. And Lefty is right, doing nothing IS a choice.
2017-01-25 1:32 PM
in reply to: Rogillio

User image

Expert
Floriduh

So here is a thought....maybe we are not the first cycle? Maybe every billion years or so the earth swallows itself up, turns everything back to it's elemental state and starts over?

Just ask the dinosaurs. They needed a meteor to create their catastrophe, we're doing it with CO2 emissions and over population.
2017-01-25 1:55 PM
in reply to: Oysterboy

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Oysterboy

Just ask the dinosaurs. They needed a meteor to create their catastrophe, we're doing it with CO2 emissions and over population.

I think a nuclear holocaust is more likely.

Think about this.

Nine countries together possess around 15,000 nuclear weapons.

A 2014 report published in the journal Earth's Future found that even a regional war of 100 nuclear detonations would produce 5 teragrams of black soot (that's 5,000,000,000 kg!) that would rise up to Earth's stratosphere and block sunlight. This would produce a sudden drop in global temperatures that could last longer than 25 years and temporarily destroy much of the Earth's protective ozone layer. This could also cause as much as an 80% increase in UV radiation on Earth's surface and destroy both land and sea-based ecosystems, potentially leading to global nuclear famine.

2017-01-25 1:57 PM

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Rogillio

All I know from my short time here is that Nature can, and does, destroy all of mankind's greatest buildings/creations in a virtual blink of an eye of it's total history.  Do we think the Earth needs mankind?  Do we think it cares at all?  As the human population continues to grow and plunder the Earth for it's own survival we get closer to the day when the Earth just shakes us off.....the same as it has for any species that was no longer able to be sustained.  Once it does, how could it not rejuvenate? We are nothing but a composition of those basic elements.  Have you ever seen a forest that has regrown after being cut down? Water that is now clean after years of pollution?

Again, I laugh every time someone says "we need to save the Earth".........I bet the Earth does too.  It's not going anywhere......we are.

2017-01-25 2:02 PM

User image

Champion
Alabama
More firepower on a single Trident Class nuclear submarine than all the bombs dropped by both sides in World War II. The US Navy has 18 of these subs. Let that sink in........
2017-01-25 2:06 PM

User image

Pro

We should get back to the topic of the press......because unless you don't drive, don't heat your home, don't eat, and don't breathe you are just part of the problem......like it or not.

2017-01-25 2:23 PM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

We should get back to the topic of the press......because unless you don't drive, don't heat your home, don't eat, and don't breathe you are just part of the problem......like it or not.

My bad, I totally started it with the climate change, lol. I posted that story in this thread because I thought the gag order fit in with the attack on the press. It's an overall pattern that the administration wants to limit the quantity and content of information coming out of our government. I find it worrying.

2017-01-25 2:27 PM
in reply to: Stacers

User image

Champion
Alabama
Originally posted by Stacers

My bad, I totally started it with the climate change, lol. I posted that story in this thread because I thought the gag order fit in with the attack on the press. It's an overall pattern that the administration wants to limit the quantity and content of information coming out of our government. I find it worrying.

To borrow another movie line (from Titanic): If that's the way the rats are going, it's good enough for me!

No offense. :-)

2017-01-25 2:51 PM

Master
, California

Well back on that topic:

https://twitter.com/altnatparkser

2017-01-25 2:53 PM
in reply to: spudone

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Originally posted by spudone

Well back on that topic:

I've been following that all day - those guys are my new favorite people. Ha!

2017-01-25 2:54 PM

User image

Pro

Stacers......limiting the quantity and content of information coming out is the #1 function of govt.  How do you think the people in charge keep their jobs as long as they do?  I'm not calling you naive because I don't know you.....but c'mon, you can't possibly think that any govt. agency is fully transparent and doesn't limit information.  That's just not real life.  This has been going on since govts. were formed.  The current administration is no better or worse than any other in that regard.....including Obama's.

2017-01-25 2:57 PM

User image

Pro

Well back on that topic:

Yes!  Now that's perfect!

2017-01-25 3:41 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Originally posted by dmiller5

Originally posted by tuwood

Everything you just described is exactly what the Obama administration was doing with the various scientific groups.  Any scientist who was not in lock step with the political agenda was fired and shamed.  I'm genuinely looking forward to real science getting back into these agencies that are supposed to be scientific.

I'm mostly staying out of this because I've learned that certain opinions aren't going to change.  But on this topic -- don't pretend to be pro-"pure"-science as a debating tactic.

1) Are you really going disparage *every* climate scientist out there as being dishonest and influenced by the Obama administration?  Really?  That's possibly the biggest whopper of a conspiracy theory I've yet heard.

2) The Obama administration agreeing with general scientific consensus doesn't mean it *determined* it.

3) Is the administration also telling Chinese scientists to confirm their viewpoint?  Or other nations that don't get along with us?  Because I don't think that would work so well.  And yet, the consensus is worldwide.

4) What about scientific studies run and paid for by Big Oil, with no federal dollars, that produced similar outcomes?  Yes they exist.

I'd suggest setting aside *all* news sources for a few minutes, to avoid confimation bias, and instead do some real digging in arXiv or some other repository for actual scientific publications.  The best way to read data is to go to the source.

I don't disparage every climate scientist at all, in fact I commend the ones who are able to work in such a dogmatic science.  The problem is that the politics has corrupted the institutions so badly that scientists who do anything other than confirm what the politicians want are promptly expelled from the scientific community. 

I know you believe in the scientific process and I do as well.  Where we differ is you believe climate science is without compromise and I believe it has been compromised.  If it's truly a science and not a religion then they should welcome those from the scientific community who disagree with the amount of forcing CO2 provides.  You can't hide behind the consensus word because I and virtually every other climate skeptic is part of that consensus which is that the earth is warming and CO2 contributes to that warming.  

The news article I linked above was an example of the problem.  Somebody said something that didn't jive with the political agenda, and they were terminated.  That is not science no matter how much you try to convince me otherwise. 

Your statement is just so filled with propaganda and misinformation that I don't even know where to start.... If this is your view of how scientific research works in our country then we shouldn't even bother having this discussion.  I'm not trying to say this as a dig, I'm just so exasperated with this line of thinking that I don't know what else to say. 

Climate scientists aren't under political pressure to do anything.  If you say they are making things up to get money then why wouldn't they flip their opinions every time a republican is in office?  If they are doing this than what about every other scientific field?  It really doesn't add up my friend.

And then, every time the money that the oil lobby is using to put pressure on politicians and convince them to say things like "climate change isn't real," or "the science is still out on this" you brush it aside as unimportant.

I'm not sure what misinformation I provided.  Perhaps you can point it out.

I don't see how any sane person can believe that climate scientists are not under any pressure.  Did you read the article I posted above?  A climate scientist just went a little out of line and suggested that things weren't as dire as some were saying and he was fired.  
It's not a matter of them doing things for money, it's a matter of doing them so they don't lose their jobs.  There are hundreds of climate scientists who are all labeled and mocked as "deniers" because they chose principle over politics and lost their jobs.

I know you're a firm believer in the religion of global warming and there's little I can do to convince you otherwise, but that doesn't change the truth. 

2017-01-25 3:47 PM

User image

Pro
Omaha, NE

Well back on that topic:

It's entertaining, but I'm not sure what they think they're going to make happen by being disrespectful to the POTUS.  They might as well be wearing vagina costumes and walking on the streets because that's about how much good it will do.  
There's an old saying about shooting yourself in the foot.  You have an administration that essentially wants to eliminate your entire department, so convincing them to do so isn't the smartest thing in the world.  Just saying.  

***edit***  disregard, I thought that was a legit national parks twitter.  OK, it's just funny then.  

Edited by tuwood 2017-01-25 3:48 PM
2017-01-25 3:50 PM
in reply to: tuwood

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

Well back on that topic:

It's entertaining, but I'm not sure what they think they're going to make happen by being disrespectful to the POTUS.  They might as well be wearing vagina costumes and walking on the streets because that's about how much good it will do.  
There's an old saying about shooting yourself in the foot.  You have an administration that essentially wants to eliminate your entire department, so convincing them to do so isn't the smartest thing in the world.  Just saying.  

***edit***  disregard, I thought that was a legit national parks twitter.  OK, it's just funny then.  

ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME.  POTUS is trying to destroy our environment.  We will fight him everywhere.

2017-01-25 4:04 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

Well back on that topic:

ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME.  POTUS is trying to destroy our environment.  We will fight him everywhere.

Exactly!  Maybe start by chaining yourself to a tree.

2017-01-25 5:52 PM

User image

Pro

Well back on that topic:

Dave....since I already l know you and like you, and you are gainfully employed unlike many enviroterrorists.......and if you don't already have yourself promised to someone....can you hold out for a few years and marry my daughter when she is 18?  I just know she's going to show up one day with a kid who hasn't washed his dreads in 2 years and travels the country protesting.  You could save me from that.  You and her will get along famously....and if you need more convincing I could probably scrape together a nice chunk of change to help you make up your mind. (I may even consider paying off your student loans depending how far off the cliff she falls in the next 2 years)

Thanks in advance,

Dad

Edited by Left Brain 2017-01-25 5:58 PM
New Thread
Other Resources The Political Joe » The press and the new administration Rss Feed  

of 4

RELATED POSTS

AR15 Back in New York

Started by Aarondb4
Views: 592 Posts: 4

2014-02-11 11:39 AM powerman

EPA target of new bias investigation

Started by DanielG
Views: 816 Posts: 3

2013-06-05 10:04 AM chirunner134

If new rules from the "fiscal cliff fiasco" didn't go into affect until 1 Jan...

Started by jldicarlo
Views: 2316 Posts: 13

2013-04-27 8:44 AM GomesBolt
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.

date : July 26, 2006
author : Ron
comments : 1
How do you know if your strength training is effective? Are you getting stronger? Several training log graphs can lend a clue.
date : June 25, 2006
author : Team BT
Decline Bench Press - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Incline Bench Press-Barbell Medium Grip strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
Incline Bench Press-Barbell Wide Grip strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

Incline Bench Press - Dumbbell strength exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : June 24, 2006
Bench Press-Wide Grip strength exercise instruction with picture and video.

date : March 5, 2006
author : TH3_FRB
The goal is to get stronger while your swim, bike and run training schedule is relatively light and you can afford to hit the weights hard a couple times each week.