Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2007-02-02 11:03 AM
in reply to: #676521

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: KathyG's group- Full

New race T-shirt...wait first triathlon t-shirt!

Have a great time and you'll learn a lot....I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience over the weekend!

2007-02-02 11:44 AM
in reply to: #632158

User image

Champion
MA

So everyone, how did your January go?

Those of you that had a mini-weight loss goal, did you hit it? 

How was your training?

It is great to reflect on your month, learn from what worked and didn't and try and do better next month.

I got to my new weight loss low on the 14th, but with new meds, injury and some bad choices for eating, my weight is very high. Training went well until injury came to a head...but I did ride my bike 300 miles.

I hope that Feb. is a better month for me. Today is my last day at work...unemployed means more time to ride outside, train, be there for my kids....all good...but that $$ thing.

2007-02-02 11:51 AM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire

About that weight loss goal....I lost maybe a pound if that.  I know why...I've had messy eating habits.

Typically when I eat methodically (eggs, oatmeal, fruit for breakfast...sandwich and salad for lunch, etc) I do really well with weight loss.  But when I eat whatever looks good (like leftover meatloaf and mashed potatoes for breakfast or a snack) then my weight loss goes to hell.

I guess it's time to reset the goal for February.  I'm shooting myself in the foot because I have a cruise coming up at the end of the month that I actually keep forgetting about and I want to lose at least 5 pounds beforehand.

I'm not used to going on vacations which is why  I forget!! 

2007-02-02 12:08 PM
in reply to: #676979

User image

Regular
Studio City

Hi Kathy. I'm sorry to hear about your job. You're looking at the positive side of things which means you're going to be fine!

I want to shed 15 pounds before summer - June/July. And I hear about the eating thing! It's so hard sometimes when you have cookies staring you in the face after dinner. They are my weakness!  So I better get moving.

Now that I have my new bike (YAY!) I would like to start riding. I better get used to the cold weather, heh? Your 300 miles is very inspiring! So I'll remember that when I don't feel like getting out there for some reason. I also want to start running more

So my goals for this month are to lose weight, learn how to use my bike, and increase my distance with running.

Have a great month everyone!

2007-02-02 3:08 PM
in reply to: #676521

Me too..Me too! I'm thinking of signing up for an indoor one in May and I'm curious how it works, so I'll be excited to hear how it goes for you!
2007-02-02 3:12 PM
in reply to: #677414

my goals for Feb are to lose at least 4 pds and increase my running time. The food thing...hard when you have a family but I told myself I get one cheat day a month so I look forward to that day and that gets me through the rough spots most of the time. My other food issue is that I'm always hungry before I go to bed so now I have figured out if I work out hard enough to be exhausted when I get home, by the time I get the kids fed and in bed, all I want to do is crawl in bed myself..problem solved!

2007-02-02 3:30 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Okay- Get this: the Indoor Tri is actually on SUNDAY, not tommorow!!  The coordinator called me today to tell me I'm in the 11am heat and I caught her say "on Sunday" and did a double take.  Geez- how embarassing!!!  Now I"ll end up with two back to back rest days.... I"m going to be jumping out of my skin by Sunday morning!  I do promise to get you all a full report on Sun-day (I'm all confused now).  My Ymca is hosting another one in mid-March, and I've been waiting for this first one to see whether I enjoy it or not. 

My January goals were to get back into a routine of 4 days of running and to add a day of biking and a day of swimming each week.  I did pretty well, though I could've done better had I not gotten injured in the middle of the month. 

February I will work on holding those same workout goals and try to lengthen them plus add some strength training.  I also start training for my May half-marathon in the middle of the month, so I'll be increasing my running mileage.  Not sure how training for long distance running events and short distance tri-events simultaneously will jive, but I am certain I'll be a better runner for it! 

good luck everyone w/your goals,
jaclyn

2007-02-02 8:37 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Jaclyn...glad you were informed on your wave time. I missed my kids first tri as I thought it was Sunday and it was Saturday...took them a long time to get over it.

Do something fun tomorrow...movie...read a book....enjoy the anticipation of doing something new for the first time.

Have a great time Sunday!

2007-02-02 8:59 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Good luck on SUNDAY, Jacyln!

January weight loss?  Who knows.  It's the week before "that time" again and my real weight is nowhere to be seen.  It's buried under a few gallons of water that will be sticking around until about Wednesday.  Before this Girl Stuff, I was down about 3 pounds out of the 4 that I was hoping for.  So I'm just going to Keep On Keeping On

Have a great weekend everyone!

2007-02-04 1:00 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Hey gang,

I survived!    I had a really good time this morning.  It was a well organized event in a really impressive facility, so that started things out smoothly.  The pool was intimidating on so many levels- it was HUGE and the people in my heat looked so much stronger than the preceding heat.  Man, I wish I could do flip turns!!  I did 1150 yards (I think- officially my lap count was 46 so hopefully I did the math correctly).  I got tired and took one 50 yard break to swim breaststroke, but I think I stayed pretty consistent with my pace for the rest of the time.  Getting out was TOUGH. 

The transistion went fine, although I got stuck getting into my sports bra, AGAIN, lol!  I had some "hello kitty" gummies between the locker room and the bike which really hit the spot.  The biking was boring, and everyone else had music so I felt a bit isolated and was thrilled when I was done.  My goal had been 7 miles & I only got to 6.7 but whatever...

I had half a Cliff bar on the way to the treadmills and then off we went!  I started out at a 10mm pace then gradually worked it down to about 8:27mm for the last two minutes.  I ended up running 2.18 miles.  I would have gone faster but didn't know if my legs would freak out after the swimming and biking.  I did feel really strong to the end though. 

I can't wait to do this again!!  I have no idea what my rankings were because people were still going when I left.  Hopefully they will post the results on line.  Off to the shower!

Jaclyn

2007-02-04 1:28 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Excellant first tri!

Sounds like you nailed it well and had a great experience and had fun too, right?

Speedy you in the pool. It is easy to get sucked into thinking about othes and how fast/fit they look are. We really compete against ourselves and you did awesome keeping positive and doing an amazing job.

I wish my Y did something like that...great motivation to keep training all winter and something fun and different.

Congrats Triathlete!

PS How is the new t-shirt?

2007-02-04 1:34 PM
in reply to: #678769

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

The new t-shirt is cute!  Its light blue and with navy swim/bike/run logos and the name of the rec center... and they even had smalls!  I wish I could wear it today but... I have to go put on my bright blue COLTS t-shirt!   

GO COLTS!

2007-02-04 3:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire
Congratulations!!  It must be a great feeling to have accomplished your first tri.  And it must be a relief to have gone through it and now know what you're in for physically.  Awesome job!!
2007-02-04 3:18 PM
in reply to: #678772

User image

Regular
Studio City

Hey Jaclyn - Congrats on your first tri!! You did awesome!

2007-02-04 3:24 PM
in reply to: #678755

Jaclyn- YOU GO GIRL!! Congrats on finishing your first tri, what an amazing feeling it must be, I can't wait to feel that! And a cool shirt to boot..whoo hoo!!!! Thanks for sharing with us the play by play, I reallly wanted to know what it was like because I'm thinking of signing up for an indoor one in May.

I hope you have a great weekend...but not toooo great...GO BEARS!!!!
2007-02-06 9:08 AM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Hey, thanks for all the support everyone!! 

So-looks like I'm going to be stuck inside for the whole week due to all this artic air.... I'm taking advantage by starting to combine workouts.  Usually on my run days I'll just run but I figure if I've got to go over to the Y anyhow... I might as well use some of the other equipment too!  Yesterday I ran, then let my hubby show me how to use the Cybex machines (scary).  Tomorrow I plan to bike and run. 

I tell ya, that colored graph is soooo motivating!!!  what are you guys doing to beat the chill?

jaclyn

2007-02-08 9:17 AM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Hello?

Buh-ler?

Where'd everybody go??

2007-02-08 9:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire

I've been here in bits and pieces.  Haven't had much time to post or blog (other than recording workouts).  Now things are winding down.

I'm itching for warm weather.  Luckily we've had no real messy weather, but it's so dang cold.

I was originally following a 13 Week Sprint Training plan from BT, now I'm switching over to the 20 week to break up my schedule, plus, as of this week, it'll be exactly 20 until my first sprint.  I like things in neat packages...one of my quirks.

I've gotten a new trainer, so now I'll do Kathy's drills that she'd posted.  I've just ridden to ride on it, but now it's down to business!

How are everybody else's training going???  Some of you haven't blogged, but I'm wondering if you've trained and just haven't recorded it. 

2007-02-08 1:54 PM

User image

Regular
Studio City
I've been training, but this week has been a mess. However I lost 4 lbs! Yay! I just need to keep it up. I still have to get a bike trainer. I'm debating only because I live in a condo ...ya know, lack of room and neighbors make it a difficult decision. I would like to start using my bike though! It's staring me in the face saying "RIDE ME!" Smile
2007-02-08 2:58 PM
in reply to: #683818

Hey ho, I'm here as well, it's been crazy around here but not cuz of the weather, you girls are making me feel guilty because it's only like 40 something degrees outside and I haven't gotten out to ride or run! I do it all in the gym..what a woos I am!!!

But I have finally figured out how to log my workouts and I'm going to start following the schedule that Kathy sent out because I'm starting to feel a little bit better about my workouts. I think my first Tri is the first weekend of May and it's an indoor/outdoor so I need to get to WORK!!!

I hope everybody's weekends are great!
2007-02-08 7:32 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Polish, proud, and present!   Just trying to fit all of "life" in 24 hours a day.  Looking forward to my strength day tomorrow and some yoga.  Haven't decided if I'll do my long run Saturday or Sunday - whichever day is warmer, I hope!   Going a new distance for me - 7 miles, yikes!  Hopefully the ice on the trail has sublimated a bit (darn sure it didn't melt!  Like our tub pipes that needed a plumber's help to melt...)

Anybody have Valentine's plans?  Hubby's birthday is the day before, so we go out to eat on the 13th.  Taking him out for steak... I should be eating nothing but rabbit food all weekend because I know what kind of gluttony is in store for me!

I think I finally decided on the swim locale... it's not a good one but it's only once a week, right?  Maybe twice.  Anyway, we'll see what my "boss" says (we don't really have bosses, but he's the closest thing to one that I have) about me coming in late one morning a week, and then hopefully it's off to the races pool!

Happy weekend, y'all!

(oh, keep an eye on my log/blog for pics of my new short hair.  camera batteries are dead tonight, so i'll charge 'em and try to take a long-arm this weekend!)

2007-02-09 1:45 PM

User image

, North Carolina

I have a ride on tap for tonight, a run tomorrow, another ride on Sunday and a swim on Monday ... hopefully that will keep me out of trouble.

So ... I'm at Kinko's getting some copies made on my lunch hour and I'm wandering around the store while I'm waiting.  Right there between "How to Succeed" and "How to Get Rich" is a book titled "Why Do Men Have Nipples" ... there were so many "suits" standing around that I was too embarassed to take a peek ... and now my curiousity is running amuck.

Have a great weekend everyone!

2007-02-09 1:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire
LOL, I'll bet the suits were thinking the same as you!  I've seen that book and wish I'd taken a peak so that I could tell why
2007-02-09 8:45 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I'd have picked up the books and said something silly to all the suits...well maybe I would have...hope I would have.

For me it was a very busy week amazing how busy it was since I'm not working. I lost my job last Friday so life is different. PT for my achillies tendonities takes 2 hours (doing lots of strength training & stretching at PT) 3 times a week plus I'm doing lots of swimming, biking and more strength training.

Saturday: Trainer ride 30 minutes, PT/strength training, then swim 1800 yds in pm-yikes busy day just typing it
Sunday: Drive hubby to airport 5am, 35 mile ride outside if weather is okay, otherwise very hard trainer ride for 90 minutes..hoping weather is sunny and above 25 preferably 30 so I can ride my new bike outside. I may ride outside for maybe an hour if it is coldish and then finish up on the trainer.

You guys are all making great progress. The first month of doing new stuff is difficult, soon it becomes just part of your life. With little kids and illness, life takes many unexpected turns and we just need to be flexible.

2007-02-14 8:42 AM

User image

Veteran
Hooksett, New Hampshire

Hi Kathy,

I found a website with loads of workouts and there's one for swimming that I'd like you to review and let me know if you think it's effective to do.  Since I don't have access to a pool yet, I figured my next best option is to work on my strength in the meantime.  I tried out the first one I asked you to review and I didn't like it, so here's another:

www.netfit.co.uk/swimming-web.htm 

Thanks!!  And I love those goals you posted on your blog. 

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » KathyG's group- Full Rss Feed  

of 11