General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is a reasonable price for Total Immersion swimming lessons? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2016-01-19 10:14 AM

Subject: What is a reasonable price for Total Immersion swimming lessons?
There is only one licensed TI swimming school near the place I am staying . It costs $400 for a 9 hour TI swimming workshop ( group) and $600 for 4 1.5 hr private swimming sessions. The instructor mentioned that all students have to buy a snorkel specially designed for TI which costs $70 ( sounds like a rip off to me) . In addition, swimmers have to pass a test at the end of the course in order to proceed to the next level. The school will present students with a certificate upon graduation.

Are the aforementioned prices reasonable?

I like the fact that they have a proper syllabus and incorporate video analysis in their lessons.

Edited by piero89 2016-01-19 10:21 AM

2016-01-19 10:53 AM
in reply to: piero89

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: What is a reasonable price for Total Immersion swimming lessons?
The base price does sound reasonable to me, although I feel like if equipment is required they should fold that price into the registration and supply it for you. I took a weekend TI workshop back in 2004 and found it really helpful for figuring out my balance and general propulsion in the water. After not swimming pretty much at all since then, I took group swim lessons at the local Rec Center for much cheaper, and found them to be a much better fit for my needs. That being said, if I was still struggling with balance and whatnot, I wouldn't have been in a position to find those lessons appropriate.
If the syllabus is the primary driver for you, I think most lessons follow a syllabus, even if it isn't published somewhere. But video analysis is probably driving up the cost compared to "traditional" lessons. If that's really appealing to you, perhaps that's something you'll simply have to pony up the cash for.
2016-01-19 11:30 AM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
I think TI does a lot of good for a lot of people.

That being said, I pay $50/mo. to be a member of masters swim class. We have coached workouts available to us 2X/day on M, W & F. We have coached workouts on Saturday and Sunday AM's.

2016-01-19 3:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by piero89

There is only one licensed TI swimming school near the place I am staying . It costs $400 for a 9 hour TI swimming workshop ( group) and $600 for 4 1.5 hr private swimming sessions. The instructor mentioned that all students have to buy a snorkel specially designed for TI which costs $70 ( sounds like a rip off to me) . In addition, swimmers have to pass a test at the end of the course in order to proceed to the next level. The school will present students with a certificate upon graduation.

I like the fact that they have a proper syllabus and incorporate video analysis in their lessons.

What's after this $1000 for 15 hours ?

If you can continue on your own....maybe
If it's more $150 per hour lessons....it seems like a lot

$1000 is probably the yearly cost for a good masters program with a coach on deck.
2016-01-19 8:50 PM
in reply to: marcag

Apparently the school charges $1000 for 4 X 1.5 hours of 1 to 1 private coaching by their head coach.

Will it be more value for money if I hire a qualified swimming coach who knows TI but does not have a license to teach TI? The fees are much cheaper.
2016-01-20 5:29 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland

I don't know anything about how TI is normally priced.... but compared to masters classes and lessons where I live, that is exceptionally high.  Masters here is $7 a class, and the coach'a do private lessons for $50-$100 an hour depending on the person

2016-01-20 8:53 AM

User image

Exton, PA

Are you dead set on TI certified swimming lessons? The price seems ridiculously high to me. I don't personally know anyone that has done TI swimming.
It's just another method of teaching, that's all.
Find any good instructor or masters program to learn how to swim.
2016-01-20 10:09 AM
in reply to: dmiller5

Originally posted by dmiller5

I don't know anything about how TI is normally priced.... but compared to masters classes and lessons where I live, that is exceptionally high.  Masters here is $7 a class, and the coach'a do private lessons for $50-$100 an hour depending on the person

$7 is dirt cheap for masters class. However, I know some coaches who will only ask students to swim laps and do drills continuously without correcting their technique.

I have attended private lessons by different coaches before. Some are good while a few of them didn't even enter the pool to demonstrate.
2016-01-20 10:16 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

$400 for a weekend clinic isn't out of line compared to some of the other "name" swim clinic programs.  With an established program like TI, at least you have a pretty good idea of the syllabus and course content going into it.  

Suzanne Atkinson, aka AdventureBear, works with Terry Laughlin to help certify all the TI coaches to insure they are presenting a consistent product.

One thing that I would suggest is making sure whatever program you select aligns with your goals and objectives.  Although sometimes maligned, for not teaching "fast swimming" (not necessarily true), TI is a great entry point for triathletes with little or no swim background, IMHO.

All the TI folks I have dealt with over the years have been good people.  If you have any specific questions about the program, I'd suggest shooting them an email or even giving them a call. 

That being said, the $70 snorkel "specially designed for TI" does sound like a bit of a crock, since they sell a standard Finis Swimmer's Snorkel on the TI website for $35 (FWIW, I have a Finis snorkel and think it is a great training tool).

Mark

2016-01-20 10:36 AM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

$7 is dirt cheap for masters class. However, I know some coaches who will only ask students to swim laps and do drills continuously without correcting their technique. I have attended private lessons by different coaches before. Some are good while a few of them didn't even enter the pool to demonstrate.

$7 is pretty common for a masters "drop in" fee.  A drop in fee lets you swim with a masters group for their daily workout (and receive whatever level of coaching they normally get).  It does not mean that you are paying $7 for a private lesson.   Drop in fees are intended for new folks wanting to try out a masters program before making a commitment to join, for people who come on an infrequent basis and don't want to pay monthly fees, or for out-of-towners looking for a group to swim with.

I'm lucky that my current masters coach is actively coaching on the deck all the time, knows all the swimmers, knows our individual goals & objectives, and knows when we have races coming up.  I've also gone to masters programs where the coach just posted the workout and you were on your own.

Mark

2016-01-20 10:38 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

$7 is dirt cheap for masters class. However, I know some coaches who will only ask students to swim laps and do drills continuously without correcting their technique. I have attended private lessons by different coaches before. Some are good while a few of them didn't even enter the pool to demonstrate.

I know some damn good swim coaches who have stellar results.......never seen one of them get in the water.

Depending on your current swim ability, the TI class may be worth it or not....the same can be said of private lessons from another coach.  Or maybe Masters would get you where you need to be, or even a YMCA swim lesson program.  Like I said, much of the "worth" depends on where you are, what you hope to gain, and how much time you have to devote to swimming faster.

Edited by Left Brain 2016-01-20 10:39 AM

2016-01-20 10:53 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Originally posted by Left Brain

I know some damn good swim coaches who have stellar results.......never seen one of them get in the water.

LOL.  I can just envision Bob Bowman jumping into the pool to show Michael Phelps how he should be swimming his butterfly.  

I've seen the opposite too, where the "coach" actually swam the entire workout with the group and didn't do any actual coaching at all.

Mark

2016-01-20 2:01 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

I'd recommend getting a TI book and video.  At the beginning, TI is all about following various drills to work on correct balance, streamline, propulsion, etc. - very little whole stroke.  These drills are easy to learn and practice with just the book and video.  Putting all the drills together for whole stroke is more complicated, but can be done with just the book, video, and practice.  TI is a long, tedious process that doesn't necessarily have immediate results (especially where speed is concerned).  In the long run, TI (like other programs) will give you the tools to be efficient in the water and give you a decent stroke with which to build speed.

I bought the book and video and did the drills for at least six months.  I signed up for the second day of the TI class (because I'd already learned, on my own, the drills taught in the first day).  I received some decent feedback in the class, but realized that I'd taught myself what I needed with practice and patience.

I've been swimming with a masters class for the past 3-4 years.  I only do a few of the TI drills on a regular basis, but my freestyle is visibly a TI based stroke.  I'm much faster now than when I was learning TI - in fact, my pace got slower over the 6-9 months I was drilling and learning TI.  Speed came with (1) having good form and (2) pushing through 3000-3500 hard swim sets 3-4 times per week.  

2016-01-20 3:14 PM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Extreme Veteran
Originally posted by Hook'em

I'd recommend getting a TI book and video.  At the beginning, TI is all about following various drills to work on correct balance, streamline, propulsion, etc. - very little whole stroke.  These drills are easy to learn and practice with just the book and video.  Putting all the drills together for whole stroke is more complicated, but can be done with just the book, video, and practice.  TI is a long, tedious process that doesn't necessarily have immediate results (especially where speed is concerned).  In the long run, TI (like other programs) will give you the tools to be efficient in the water and give you a decent stroke with which to build speed.

I bought the book and video and did the drills for at least six months.  I signed up for the second day of the TI class (because I'd already learned, on my own, the drills taught in the first day).  I received some decent feedback in the class, but realized that I'd taught myself what I needed with practice and patience.

I've been swimming with a masters class for the past 3-4 years.  I only do a few of the TI drills on a regular basis, but my freestyle is visibly a TI based stroke.  I'm much faster now than when I was learning TI - in fact, my pace got slower over the 6-9 months I was drilling and learning TI.  Speed came with (1) having good form and (2) pushing through 3000-3500 hard swim sets 3-4 times per week.  

Nice to her from someone with your experience. Two questions

1) "my freestyle is visibly a TI based stroke". Do you say that as a good or bad thing ?

2) If you had to do it all over again, knowing what you know, would you go the TI route ?
2016-01-20 3:32 PM
in reply to: RedCorvette

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

Originally posted by RedCorvette

$400 for a weekend clinic isn't out of line compared to some of the other "name" swim clinic programs.  With an established program like TI, at least you have a pretty good idea of the syllabus and course content going into it.  

Suzanne Atkinson, aka AdventureBear, works with Terry Laughlin to help certify all the TI coaches to insure they are presenting a consistent product.

One thing that I would suggest is making sure whatever program you select aligns with your goals and objectives.  Although sometimes maligned, for not teaching "fast swimming" (not necessarily true), TI is a great entry point for triathletes with little or no swim background, IMHO.

All the TI folks I have dealt with over the years have been good people.  If you have any specific questions about the program, I'd suggest shooting them an email or even giving them a call. 

That being said, the $70 snorkel "specially designed for TI" does sound like a bit of a crock, since they sell a standard Finis Swimmer's Snorkel on the TI website for $35 (FWIW, I have a Finis snorkel and think it is a great training tool).

Mark

There isn't a $70 snorkel on the market. The whole things seems too pricey.

2016-01-20 3:36 PM

User image

Deep in the Heart of Texas

1)  I believe it is a good thing.  I have a long, smooth stroke with a two-beat kick (unless I'm sprinting) and I'm well-balanced in the water.  It's what I think of when I picture a TI stroke.  As I've gotten faster, I've removed any exaggerated gliding that I picked up (rightly or wrongly) from doing TI drills.

2)  I'd do it again.  TI is not the only route to take, but I like perfecting form before worrying about speed.  Too many people want to increase speed without taking the effort to get the form right first.  I like reading about stroke mechanics and then working through drills with a conscious understanding of the purpose of the drill.  I'd want the same from an individual teacher.  

Edited by Hook'em 2016-01-20 3:39 PM

2016-01-20 3:37 PM
in reply to: tjfry

User image

Pro

Originally posted by tjfry

Mark

As long as there is a single person left on the planet with 70.00 in their pocket.....someone will devise a snorkel to rid them of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331606130895?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

2016-01-20 4:11 PM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX

Originally posted by Left Brain

Originally posted by tjfry

Mark

As long as there is a single person left on the planet with 70.00 in their pocket.....someone will devise a snorkel to rid them of it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331606130895?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

I stand corrected!

2016-01-21 6:55 AM
in reply to: Hook'em

User image

Exton, PA
Originally posted by Hook'em

1)  I believe it is a good thing.  I have a long, smooth stroke with a two-beat kick (unless I'm sprinting) and I'm well-balanced in the water.  It's what I think of when I picture a TI stroke.  As I've gotten faster, I've removed any exaggerated gliding that I picked up (rightly or wrongly) from doing TI drills.

2)  I'd do it again.  TI is not the only route to take, but I like perfecting form before worrying about speed.  Too many people want to increase speed without taking the effort to get the form right first.  I like reading about stroke mechanics and then working through drills with a conscious understanding of the purpose of the drill.  I'd want the same from an individual teacher.  

With the attitude and time you took towards learning to swim you could have learned in a multitude of ways. Your success in swimming is from your approach, TI was the tool that help you. If TI was not around it sounds as though you would have done just as well finding an instructor or a team to swim with.
2016-01-21 10:48 AM
in reply to: #5162501

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Before I became a TI coach , I bought the book and DVD, trained a lot by myself, became a USAT coach, and after 4 years was still secretly hoping my triathletes would attended masters so I didn't have to write workouts for them.

I wanted to become a TI coach so that I had a better process for working with my triathletes. I swam competitively up until high school and felt if missed out on learning more about swimming due to not pursuing it in high school and college.

Long story short, a pre requisite for taking the coach certification was having taken a workshop or private lessons with a coach. I paid $495 plus travel/hotel to take the next available workshop 5 hours from where I live.

It was the best thing I've ever done with my money let alone as a swimmer and a coach.

TI does not currently teach our coaches that use of a snorkel is mandatory. Everything else seems like market driven prices.

You can check the TI website to see if what's being provided seems in line with TI coaches in other areas.

Places like LA, NYC,NJ have much higher rates. Here in Pittsburgj I charge $85 for a private. BUT nearly every lesson slot I offer is quickly filled which means I this market could support higher prices. I may bump it to $95 /hr this year.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info on the area you are in.

I'd say it's worth it to you if you value the coach that is teaching and want to learn from a TI certified coach.

If you don't , it seems that this coach has others who do, supporting the price. Ask for former students of his/hers and see what they think about the investment.
2016-01-21 12:25 PM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Originally posted by AdventureBear Before I became a TI coach , I bought the book and DVD, trained a lot by myself, became a USAT coach, and after 4 years was still secretly hoping my triathletes would attended masters so I didn't have to write workouts for them. I wanted to become a TI coach so that I had a better process for working with my triathletes. I swam competitively up until high school and felt if missed out on learning more about swimming due to not pursuing it in high school and college. Long story short, a pre requisite for taking the coach certification was having taken a workshop or private lessons with a coach. I paid $495 plus travel/hotel to take the next available workshop 5 hours from where I live. It was the best thing I've ever done with my money let alone as a swimmer and a coach. TI does not currently teach our coaches that use of a snorkel is mandatory. Everything else seems like market driven prices. You can check the TI website to see if what's being provided seems in line with TI coaches in other areas. Places like LA, NYC,NJ have much higher rates. Here in Pittsburgj I charge $85 for a private. BUT nearly every lesson slot I offer is quickly filled which means I this market could support higher prices. I may bump it to $95 /hr this year. Feel free to PM me if you want more info on the area you are in. I'd say it's worth it to you if you value the coach that is teaching and want to learn from a TI certified coach. If you don't , it seems that this coach has others who do, supporting the price. Ask for former students of his/hers and see what they think about the investment.

I do think the bolded history of ex-comp HS swimming is important, as it does make it  a bit harder to differentiate your own TI-based results from the skills and talent level required and built up during competitive HS swimming.  How much faster did TI make you compared to HS comp swimming?

2016-01-21 12:41 PM
in reply to: yazmaster

User image

Pro

Originally posted by yazmaster

Originally posted by AdventureBear Before I became a TI coach , I bought the book and DVD, trained a lot by myself, became a USAT coach, and after 4 years was still secretly hoping my triathletes would attended masters so I didn't have to write workouts for them. I wanted to become a TI coach so that I had a better process for working with my triathletes. I swam competitively up until high school and felt if missed out on learning more about swimming due to not pursuing it in high school and college. Long story short, a pre requisite for taking the coach certification was having taken a workshop or private lessons with a coach. I paid $495 plus travel/hotel to take the next available workshop 5 hours from where I live. It was the best thing I've ever done with my money let alone as a swimmer and a coach. TI does not currently teach our coaches that use of a snorkel is mandatory. Everything else seems like market driven prices. You can check the TI website to see if what's being provided seems in line with TI coaches in other areas. Places like LA, NYC,NJ have much higher rates. Here in Pittsburgj I charge $85 for a private. BUT nearly every lesson slot I offer is quickly filled which means I this market could support higher prices. I may bump it to $95 /hr this year. Feel free to PM me if you want more info on the area you are in. I'd say it's worth it to you if you value the coach that is teaching and want to learn from a TI certified coach. If you don't , it seems that this coach has others who do, supporting the price. Ask for former students of his/hers and see what they think about the investment.

I do think the bolded history of ex-comp HS swimming is important, as it does make it  a bit harder to differentiate your own TI-based results from the skills and talent level required and built up during competitive HS swimming.  How much faster did TI make you compared to HS comp swimming?

If I read it right, she didn't swim in HS.

2016-01-21 1:31 PM

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Originally posted by yazmaster
How much faster did TI make you compared to HS comp swimming?

This isn't a "Does Ti make you fast" thread, but I'm happy to share.

LeftBrain is correct, I swam up through 8th grade. Also, I took off over 20 years of swimming between 8th grade and resuming as a triathlete, so (jr) high school swim times are irrelevant. What is relevant is that I had about 8 years of "coached" swimming during formative years. It made me comfortable in the water...it did not make me by default, fast. Not all teenage swimmers are fast, nor do they all have good form.

I have absolutely no recollection of what my times were and can't find old log books. I didn't follow swimming at all until my adult life in the past 6 years or so. I took my workshop in Feb 2010.

During coached training for Escape from Alactraz, my 100yd Freestyle PR was 1:45

About 2 months after my workshop it was 1:35

My most recent Freestyle PR was 1:18

Does that help the OP ?

Edited by AdventureBear 2016-01-21 1:34 PM
2016-01-21 1:42 PM

Helpful info, thx!

Edited by yazmaster 2016-01-21 1:42 PM
2016-01-22 11:14 AM
in reply to: AdventureBear

Originally posted by AdventureBear

Before I became a TI coach , I bought the book and DVD, trained a lot by myself, became a USAT coach, and after 4 years was still secretly hoping my triathletes would attended masters so I didn't have to write workouts for them.

I wanted to become a TI coach so that I had a better process for working with my triathletes. I swam competitively up until high school and felt if missed out on learning more about swimming due to not pursuing it in high school and college.

Long story short, a pre requisite for taking the coach certification was having taken a workshop or private lessons with a coach. I paid $495 plus travel/hotel to take the next available workshop 5 hours from where I live.

It was the best thing I've ever done with my money let alone as a swimmer and a coach.

TI does not currently teach our coaches that use of a snorkel is mandatory. Everything else seems like market driven prices.

You can check the TI website to see if what's being provided seems in line with TI coaches in other areas.

Places like LA, NYC,NJ have much higher rates. Here in Pittsburgj I charge $85 for a private. BUT nearly every lesson slot I offer is quickly filled which means I this market could support higher prices. I may bump it to $95 /hr this year.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info on the area you are in.

I'd say it's worth it to you if you value the coach that is teaching and want to learn from a TI certified coach.

If you don't , it seems that this coach has others who do, supporting the price. Ask for former students of his/hers and see what they think about the investment.

I am planning to attend some group and private lessons which suit my schedule. I will discuss with the school and hopefully they can work out a plan for me.

One thing I like about their syllabus is that they have a progressive training system in place. There are a total of 4 stages and you have to complete and pass the graduation test before you can proceed to the next stage. This ensures that you are proficient in the drills you have acquired during the lessons. Yes , it feels like you are back in high school where you have to sit for tests before you can progress to the next level.

Was the workshop you attended similar to mine?

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » What is a reasonable price for Total Immersion swimming lessons? Rss Feed  

of 2

RELATED POSTS

Total Immersion (I am a little more sold on the technique)

Started by Writebrained
Views: 1820 Posts: 17

2008-09-17 1:43 PM Dream Chaser

Impressions on Total Immersion Swimming?

Started by Binney59
Views: 1132 Posts: 9

2005-07-18 12:32 AM onefitgeek

Total Immersion Swimming

Started by tri-girl
Views: 1364 Posts: 8

2004-05-14 12:08 PM tri-girl

A swimming question for Total Immersion folks.

Started by sojourner
Views: 938 Posts: 6

2004-04-18 5:28 PM MJS

total immersion swimming

Started by riggler
Views: 7009 Posts: 11

2004-01-07 1:33 PM Tri Swim Coach
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 19, 2011
author : Total Immersion
comments : 0
Terry Laughlin will cover the elements of the "speed problem" in swimming, why the traditional means of swimming faster seldom work and why an often-ignored approach is virtually foolproof.

date : July 7, 2009
Work less to swim better. Part two of this video series covers the principles of active streamlining to swim faster with less effort.
date : May 6, 2009
Work less to swim better. Part one of this video series covers the philosophy of Total Immersion swimming and looks at some common freestyle swimming misconceptions.

date : June 11, 2007
comments : 3
Most of those thinking about tackling a long swim instinctively feel it’s necessary to Do much to build endurance - more yards, harder laps. But a focus on Receiving is ideal for long distances.
date : March 5, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 1
Good memories are crucial to your success in the water. Trying to swim laps before you are comfortable in the water is likely to reinforce your anxiety, so avoid the white-knuckle approach.

date : September 19, 2004
comments : 1
Increasing your energy efficiency even modestly -- from, say, 3% to 4% -- can translate into a 33% improvement in your swimming.
date : August 31, 2004
author : Tri Swim Coach
Kevin Koskella of www.TriSwimCoach.com gives his introduction on how he became a swim coach.